A bread winning success !!

I have tried using an electric carving knife, but I got poor results from it. Then I had to go and stay at our daughters house to look after the g daughters for about 5 days. I took with me a double sided serrated knife and it cut the bread that we were eating just fine, far better than the knife I left behind for my wife to use.

When I got back home I started to look at why the normal bread knife was distorting the bread both before and during cutting it. It turned out that it had gone blunt, contrary to the excepted principle that serrated knives are self sharpening.

I have some diamond laps, used for sharpening things like chisels and I gave the knife a pass or two with one. The difference was amazing. No need to press down to start a cut through the crust, it just glided through. Perhaps this is your problem.

A sharp knife always works well, a blunt one is more likely to cut you.

If you want to try this, I suggest you buy a stone that will fit between the peeks of the serrations. It doesn't have to a diamond type, any carborundum stick one will do the same job. Just rub the blade at 90 degrees to the cutting edge, at the same angle it has been ground to.

HTH

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Agreed. Let it cool to room temperature and then start cutting with a sharp knife.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Buy a cheap one and keep it sharp.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

No good on the bread, but might work on the knife if you have a very light touch :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

However, bread still bluntens knives. I sharpen my bread knife about once a year, and it makes an enormous difference.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel