54v batteries from DeWalt

Hmmm... looks like a switchable series / parallel cell arrangement.

And something crossing the construction safety boundary from ELV to LV by 4 volts.

I can see the long running benefit, but ..

Won't the battery safety covers get lost on yr typical building site? Won't labourers get fried by something they thought as cordless so safe? Or burned by a huge lithium battery one bad day going super nova....

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Yeah, I've seen some Utube channels mention them, but as 20V/60V (maybe that's a europe vs america thing?) presumably the internal banks of cells can be switched from parallel to series.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Apparently the Mercans use a no load figure & us Brits use a load figure. So 60v USA is 54v GB.

Reply to
David Lang

That was my immediate thought. Elfin safety may start imposing rules that may make them unsuitable for certain industries.

Reply to
alan_m

ELV threshold is 120 Volts for DC isn't it ?

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

ELV is less than 50V AC - but 120V DC

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah, opps. I stand connected ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

But things like the control gear will handle lower current so may be a saving there. There is likely an ideal figure for that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)