Centipede Sawhorse!

So I picked up one of these yesterday and can't wait to use it. I've seen this product on the internet and have really wanted to try one, but didn't want to pay the 80 bucks everyone was asking for it, especially without getting my hands on it first.

I walk into Home Depot and there it is for $50, so I bit. It's remarkably simple to set up, use, and tear down. It comes in a carry bag, so it's perfect for me to throw in the van.

I love it so far and can't wait to put it through some real world testing.

Reply to
-MIKE-

For the extra $30, it will neigh for you.

Whinny do you plan to try it out?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Probably this week.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Here's my concern:

When I watch a manufacturer's video or commercial and something jumps out at me that seems kind of strange, I often wonder "Why would the manufacturer use those words or show that process?" Allow me to explain.

At 1:15 of the video on the website, the "professional contractor" tells us that he's had the work table "for about 15 minutes now" followed by "I can cut repetitious pieces on this all day long." The "all day long" is said with emphasis.

I would find it tough to make such a claim after having a product for only "15 minutes". Had the "contractor" used a more reasonable time frame (all morning, 4 hours, a few hours, etc.) it wouldn't have jumped out at me like "about 15 minutes" did.

Assuming the manufacturer wanted to be 100% honest, could it have hurt to wait a few hours and then record the contractor's testimonial? If they wanted to "lie" they could have easily had him say "a few hours". I wouldn't even have blinked an eye. The mere fact that they allowed "about 15 minutes" to be used makes we wonder about their other claims.

Do they really expect consumers to say "Wow, he's happy after using it for 15 minutes. That's good enough for me, I buying one!"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Experience will often let you know immediately if something is useful after just a few seconds of use ... IOW, a professional "gut feeling". ;)

Let me put it this way for you. I've worked on enough job sites, and spent lot$ of time on/setting up a decent work table solution for just my part of the job, to plunk $50 down on just the appearance of the portable, cost effective solution this appears to be.

Hell, for $50 I'll buy one for every job, and dumpster it at the end, if it only lasts that long ...

Reply to
Swingman

Can't wait to hear the results of your testing.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

I hear you Karl. I thought it looked good too. I see only two downsides.

1) It would need a fairly level surface to use it on. 2) You could not do any pounding with a hammer or whatever on it. Those are minor things that are easily set off by the sheer use and utility of something like this.

I probably would not need something like this very often. But I could have really used something like this at least 3 or 4 times in the last two months. I am just a guy who works around the house. Anybody who was very busy or worked on jobsites could really use something like this. The genius of it this product, as far as I am concerned, is that it folds up into a neat little package that can be stored and transported easily.

When you see all kinds of gimmicks and junk out there, it is nice to see something that looks like it actually serves a legitimate purpose. And for the price, even if it does not last very long, it would be well worth it for the sheer convenience and time savings. Particularly for sheet goods.

And Hey! As a musician, you are a master of "gut feelings"! ;-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

looks too busy and also looks flimsy all those cross braces would get in my way

and how durable is the material will it handle getting banged around

seems gimmicky too

what is wrong with fold up steel horses

Reply to
Electric Comet

On Monday, November 16, 2015 at 2:31:42 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com w rote:

Similarly as I at the farm... no decent saw horses, often poor work areas. I've turned the 6' step ladder on its side (triangle shaped) for a sheet- good support & work surface, wobbles like hell. I hate working on the gro und or on low surfaces, as the tipped ladder.

I may visit HD and checkem out.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sonny wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Those sheet metal collapsable sheet metal saw horses Menards carries are really a good deal, especially on sale. They last quite nicely and fold up into a space about 6x6x36. You may want to put a board on top, but they've drilled holes to make that easy.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I wonder how they would get in your way.

Almost the same principal as a supports for tents. Those hold up bery well.

Weight and size. Remember this is for portability to take to a job site. Or anywhere you need a quick set up.

Reply to
Leon

You going to leave an open gallon of your Sherwin Williams paint on it? : )

Reply to
Bill

I just can't see any validity to the "Comets" concerns.

I need more saw horses like Custer needed more pissed off Native Americans but the portability and compactness of these has me considering a trip to the HD to pick one up. I no longer want to get down on my knees to break down a 4'x8' piece of ply. With the structure of these and ability to use some clamps, this size should make tackling a sheet of goods at normal work level a piece of cake.

EC? when you think about flimsy, consider engineered trusses. Same general principal.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I just can't see any validity to the "Comet's" concerns.

I need more saw horses like Custer needed more pissed off Native Americans but the portability and compactness of these has me considering a trip to the HD to pick one up. I no longer want to get down on my knees to break down a 4'x8' piece of ply. With the structure of these and ability to use some clamps, this size should make tackling a sheet of goods at normal work level a piece of cake.

EC? when you think about flimsy, consider engineered trusses. Same general principal.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

This has only 6 points of contact vs. 8 for two sawhorses. Non-issue.

These legs are extremely strong. They seems to be carbon fiber or some other composite. Pound away. It's rated for 1500lbs.

YEP!!!

Reply to
-MIKE-

They aren't flimsy at all. Not any more that metal guy-wires that hold up steel girders. The legs are much stronger/stiffer than they look.

I don't spend a lot of time working *under* my sawhorses.

We'll find out. As i stated above, the materials are stronger than they first appear.

So did air nailers when they first came out.

Nothing, except they take longer to set-up/tear down, and require two hands to carry.

Oh, and what is wrong with punctuation? Seriously, is there a reason you refuse to use basic punctuation? It makes reading your posts difficult. If you have some sort of disability that prevents it, I totally understand. But if you're just too lazy, typing from a phone or something, then please.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yes.

Lots of baseless assumption flying around in here. Par for the course, though. :-D

Reply to
-MIKE-

Should not be an issue but FWIW I don't leave open gallons of anything, even on the floor.

Reply to
Leon

Have a $100 HD gift certificate, and $146 store return ... know now where part of it is going.

My HD has 5 in stock, but would prefer to find the larger 4x8 model.

Reply to
Swingman

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I agree. The part that got me was him saying "I can make repeated cuts on this all day long." The chopsaw is doing the cutting not what the saw is sitting on. Not being able to cut has nothing to do with the sawhorse. oh excuse me the "portable support system."

Reply to
sawdustmaker