40+ year-old cars no longer need a MOT

You can say that about many things from being able to vote, drive, have sex (legally), get married, buy or drink alcohol, pentions, and warrenties. Other things like the new year, birthdays and most event need to be set out so they are understood by everyone or at least to those it matters too.

Just being catching up on ramadam in case someone tries to tell me something that isn't true.

Reply to
whisky-dave

There is no offical definition of a classic car. Unlike vintage and veteran.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Never said it was.

But Please explain how it is needed in cars of a certain age, but not in older ones? Exactly why?

Because there are so few cars of that age on the roads, it's not going to be easy to gather reliable data.

With respect, bollocks. Takes no longer to do basic safety checks on an old vehicle. Especially since emission testing is likely not needed. You test the brakes in the same way. Suspension components too. And so on. Look for corrosion. All of which can be a problem on a car much newer than

40 years old.

If you don't need an MOT for an old car because it will be driven with such care and consideration, shouldn't the same apply to insurance too?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In 1958 it became compulsory to have two rear lights on any vehicle - a dealer in government suplus near my school must have made a killing because he sold vast quantities of surplus rear lights which were just big enough to meet the law through numerous adverts in national papers. I've often wondered what they were made for!

However, London Transport were granted an exemption to this law for their large bus fleet, as well as an exemption for the ability to run with only an offside headlight.

Many of these buses were later bought for preservation and, something that hadn't occured to me until a bus driver mentioned it was that at the instant that ownership passed from London Transport to the new owner they became illegal to drive on the public highway!

Gradually, preservationists adopted various ways of adding near side tail lights in ways that make them almost invisible in daylight unless you are looking for them but, initially, it was quite common to see buses proceeding to ot from rallies and displays with a baulk of timber containing a full set of lights hanging on the back of the bus which could then be unplugged and removed when the bus reached its destination.

Reply to
Terry Casey

Much as I would love to while away the time responding in minute detail may I respectfully suggest that the correct place to direct your questions, observations, thoughts, and wisdom would be to your local member of parliament, who I am sure would be more than willing to ensure they are forwarded to the appropriate departments for the consideration they undoubtedly deserve.

If the issues surrounding the legislative and regulatory requirements for private motor vehicles are to be solved, then it's unlikely it will be in uk.d-i-y. Because it's uk.d-i-y- and not uk.d-i-y-and-vehicle-legislation- discussion-group (although I would subscribe to that too).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I'd suggest you direct your remarks to whoever started this thread which you seem happy enough to comment on.

I'd be very happy to see this group confined to DIY topics only.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)" writes

Just sit down before you read this Dave. I actually agree with you.

Reply to
bert

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

If they don't pass the basic requirements which I regards as including brakes steering body integrity then they shouldn't be on the road.

Reply to
bert

The brakes probably don't give as much maximum braking force as a modern car. They won't have ABS which people probably rely on these days (we've got used to being able to stamp on the pedal as hard a possible in an emergency, without having to think about cadence braking and not steering while braking that hard.

But as long as a driver is used to driving a car with much weaker brakes, he will know to start braking earlier and to leave a longer distance from the car in front in case it brakes as hard as a modern car can and he needs the extra stopping distance.

It must be very difficult adjusting between modern and 40+ year old: heavier steering, weaker brakes, more tendency to lose the back end if you apply power while steering round a bend. When you replaced your 40 year old car with a 35 year old one and then with a 30 year old one, the incremental changes were fairly small. But going straight from modern to a car from the

60s and you'll get a shock. For a start, I doubt whether many of us could manage double-declutching when changing between first and any other gear (many 60s cars didn't have synchromesh on first or even second gear) - I know I couldn't because I've never been able to practice on a car that *doesn't* have full synchromesh: whether you match the engine speed to the new gear or not, the gear will still engage, even if you then get a lurch as you let the clutch up if you've not matched the speed correctly; you won't even engage the gear with non-sync unless you've matched the speed.

Of course drivers of modern cars need to be aware of the limitations of older cars. You might pull in a certain distance ahead of a modern car and then find you have to brake hard, and expect the car behind you to be able to stop. If that car has poorer brakes he will rear-end you, so you always allow a much bigger gap - just in case. A skilled driver of an older car can leave plenty of gap ahead of him but can't control how much gap an overtaking car leaves when pulling in ahead. My first car's brakes weren't particularly good and I found that on a motorway I was forever having to touch the brakes (or at the very least, lift off the power) to increase the stopping distance ahead of me as overtaking cars pulled in too close ahead of me.

The same applies to overtaking an HGV - don't pull in too close ahead of it because it won't be able to stop in as short a distance as you can (either because of poorer brakes in relation to vehicle mass, or because of the risk of jacknifing. I always give a lorry more room than a car when I pull back in.

Reply to
NY

Yes. The handling is very poor by today's standards. Doesn't encourage one to chuck it about. I think it's down to the "tall" tyres.

When cornering, throttle control has to be dead right or it under/oversteers.

Reply to
harry

Not a lot.

Reply to
harry

Most older cars are simpler, MOTing them is no problem,

Reply to
harry

When cars are forty years old they become "heritage vehicles". So, no road tax no MOT.They mostly have a mollycoddled, low mileage, fair weather existence, driven by enthusiasts who look after them.

Reply to
harry

Most 60's cars had no synchromesh first gear.

1st gear was only used for setting off. One stopped in second. Many vans and trucks had non-synchromesh gearboxes.
Reply to
harry

The only thing they'd fail on is emissions.

Reply to
harry

It does. My Roller costs £86/year to insure. Comprehensive. 2,000 mile limit.

Reply to
harry

The low cost of insurance is proof.

Reply to
harry

sometimes dave you do talk some rubbish

Reply to
tabbypurr

get a clue, seriously.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I have run classic vehicles. If you've not figured that out from many of my posts before you're brain dead.

Reply to
tabbypurr