30mm v.deep socket needed

Hi Guys, I'm after a very deep 30mm socket (the deepest one I've seen so far is about 10cm) anybody seen a deeper one? - needs to be durable, the bolts on this piece of kit are tightened up to 220Nm

Cheers

Rob.

Reply to
563wed4rhlhlwyp

Snap-on?

Reply to
John

I'd already had a look and saw this:

size wise it's spot on, but because its an imperial size and not metric and I was brought up using metric measurements ;-) (and I don't want to waste =A345!) I was unsure if it would fit - anybody care to comment?

Reply to
563wed4rhlhlwyp

-I'd already had a look and saw this:

-

size wise it's spot on, but because its an imperial size and not

-metric and I was brought up using metric measurements ;-) (and I don't

-want to waste £45!) I was unsure if it would fit - anybody care to

-comment?

You didn't say you wanted a double square socket, I assumed by "30mm socket" you meant hex. The example is a double square. Perhaps another possibility for wasting money! In any case 1"1/8 would be about 28mm so would be too small.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Have you tried Ebay?

Reply to
jennyhicks

and size wise it's spot on, but because its an imperial size and not

Well converting 1.125" gives 28.6mm so probably not.

I'd try a big motor factor that deals with commercial vehicles - you might be lucky there. Although I'm not sure you'll find one on the net. My first port of call would have been Cannons MSA in Clapham - but they've moved to Mitcham and down sized. So I don't know what their tool department is like now. Other lead might be from a local engineer's supplier.

Might it be possible to use a box spanner and reinforce it by welding?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bloody hell, you get a lot of spam on here don't you!

To be honest I wasn't sure what a double square socket was anyway - I assume it doesn't fit an ordinary hex nut by the replies!

Tried ebay (first port of call)!

Think I may go along the lines of getting a tool made (not doing it myself!) - cut a deep socket in half and have it extended with a length of tube - that way I can get a custom size as it's something that I'm going to require quite a lot.

Thanks for the replies.

Reply to
563wed4rhlhlwyp

A double square socket has 8 vertices or points and will fit a square section object every 45deg of turn (with an unused vertex or point at each of the four flats). A hex socket has 12 vertices or points and will fit a hex section object every 30deg of turn (with an unused vertex or point at each of the six flats).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

This any good?

be tough enough if it's impact grade. If they won't ship to the UK, you might be able to get one from an American car dealer (or possibly even a Vauxhall dealer - for a lot more money).

Reply to
Preston

I thought that, but concluded that the 200Nm torque might be a problem.

Reply to
Bruce

That *looks* about the same as any deep socket which are stock items at good tool shops. Even Halfords have them.

The OP doesn't actually say what depth he needs.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on how you reinforce it, I'd say. Especially if clearance round the outside isn't a problem.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not with my ISP.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A valid point. However, no amount of external reinforcement is going to change the far from optimal shape of the "socket" interior, although it should help to reduce deflection under load.

Reply to
Bruce

The first post said 'the deepest I've found is only 10cm' so I'm guessing a lot more than that...

I just want to know what it's for!

Reply to
PCPaul