HELP NEEDED - Plug Socket Switch Protection

Hi,

My problem is this: I have a cable plugged into a socket which is located behind a colleague's desk such that occasionally his chair flicks off the switch, knocking off the power to my PC, and a few other things.

Is there anything out there that could cover the switch to prevent it from being accidentally switched off?

I've spent a lot of time looking around and not found much suitable. Replacing the socket with one that doesn't have switches is not an option.

Something like a small plastic cover, possibly held in place by the plug covering the switch would be ideal, but does such a thing exist?

Any help much appreciated.

Reply to
Conor O'Brien

If you are unable to do anything about changing the switched socket, then get a cheap uninterruptible power supply, from eBuyer at about £30. This will keep your computer going until you have a chance to thump your colleague on the side of the head. Check that the UPS has suitable sockets. Ones with 3 pin mains sockets are a little more expensive. Alternatively you could use a four way connector and plug into one of the more usual kettle-type sockets.

Reply to
Peter Scott

Gaffer tape?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This any good?

Tim Downie

The obvious solution is to plug *his* computer into the socket he keeps switching off, and yours into where his was. That'll teach him to be more careful how he wields his chair.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Thanks Peter, but I think this seems a more expensive and complicated solution to what I'm after.

Reply to
Conor O'Brien

It had crossed my mind Dave, and would be a serious contender if I can't find something more elegant. It's definitely in the right price range!

Reply to
Conor O'Brien

Cheers Tim, I'd come across this myself and the double socket version would be what I'd need. I'm just not sure I'd want to cover both sides. It's definitely the best option I've seen so far.

Reply to
Conor O'Brien

Just make a [ shaped strip of metal or thick plastic to cover it. Or replace the socket with an unswitched one.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Much as I'd love to see his reaction every time he knocked off his own computer, my cable wouldn't be long enough to reach the socket his is currently in. You have however tempted me to go and buy an extension lead.

I like your [ solution - it just might work. However, whilst I realise now the implication of posting this in a DIY forum, I should make clear my relative reluctance to actual "d" and "y" parts! Replacing the socket is a definite non-runner.

Reply to
Conor O'Brien

I think something similar to the Driin Phone Holder (http://

might work, but with a bit to the side to cover the switch and three holes for the pins of the plug to pass through holding it in place. I appreciate that it may well be the case that this doesn't exist, but wouldn't the world be a better place if it did?

Reply to
Conor O'Brien

I'm not too sure having an easily added accessory to prevent a switch being used is a good idea. Unswitched sockets are available for where needed. And some designs are more prone to being switched off by say a chair leg than others.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I thought that you didn't want, or weren't allowed, to remove or fiddle with the socket. I think you need to to use this.

Reply to
Peter Scott

You need a largish tupperware-ish container and a sharp knife. The container needs to be big enough to fit right over the socket, the plugs, everything. Cut some holes/slots in the container to allow the electical leads in and then stick the whole thing to the skirting board with sellotape (as you're in an office).

Reply to
GB

Thanks Peter, missed that. If the installation was minimal I could probably live with it, but yeah I'd rather not.

Reply to
Conor O'Brien

Fair enough, but there are always scenarios where a simple solution like the one I've suggested could be useful. It's often not feasible to replace the whole socket fitting, which in my case wouldn't be suitable anyway. I still need the switch, I just don't want it knocked off.

Reply to
Conor O'Brien

Superglue? Your no one need never know you've done it!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The device you need does exist, I had some once as a freebie from a computer magazine. It was a small strip of red plastic that you glued to the switch rocker. It had a small protrusion which, by default, prevented the rocker from moving.

Or you could get a rubber door-stop that will stand proud of the switch rocker and absorb the impact

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Years ago (about 15 or so) I found something from Lakeland os a similar store which would fit the bill. A flat plate of thin(ish) plastic punched with holes for a 13A plug and to one side of it a raised moulding to cover the switch. It fitted between the plug and socket. Have not seen anythig like it for years.

Dous the company you work for have IT support personnel? If they do pass the problem on to them, your computer being switched off could corrupt shared data files on the server.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Hold the switch half-on half-off so the contacts arc and pretty soon they will weld together so it's permanently on regardless of the switch position.

Reply to
Reentrant