£30 saved for one screw

Bought an 18V brushless angle grinder from Amazon, noticed they had an "open box" one for £30 off the "new" price, thought their return policy would make it a safe enough bet to send back if wasn't right.

Whoever returned it had obviously scuffed a couple of the corners on concrete/tarmac (which I'd do within 10 minutes anyway) blade was unused, but the guard was missing a screw so couldn't tighten clamp, first one rummaged from the random box of bits was correct thread but a few mm too short, second one was just right, bargain.

Oh and it came with two side-handles, so maybe it was bits from a couple of returns?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sounds a bit like they used to do at Tandy. I bought all sorts of stuff there for ridiculous money just because the original buyer was too thick to set it up properly Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You can still get returned bargains at John Lewis in that way. I got a new and unused Panasonic PVR with £60 off. It, and its remote control, were still sealed in their plastic bags. The reason for return was "no Scart socket". Well, a quick look before purchase at the back of the box in the shop, or online, would have revealed a distinct lack of a Scart socket. :-)

Reply to
Jeff Layman

You have to watch them, though. Bought an early Roberts DAB radio at a big discount, it was pretty rubbish. I should have taken it back, but it was a 50 mile round trip and didn't go near them for a while. After a year or two I just binned it.

Reply to
newshound

On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 21:22:56 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote: "£30 saved for one screw"

I'm sure we're all very happy for you. Birthday treat? Would you like us to chip in for an additional £20 for 'extras'?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Says something for JL, then. If Argos, it would simply have been shoved back in the box and sold as new at full price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

:-)

Reply to