2 Way Wiring Help

Opps - drilled through a lighting cable! In the switch it runs two, one switch works an outside light (1 way) and the other works the light at the top of the stairs (2 way).

For some reason in the switch, the common port has a link wire between the switches, as well as a red wire into them, why would this be? Only one core was split by the drill, but I stripped back and replaced three cores. Then when I stripped back the damaged cable and replaced it, the switch downstairs doesn't work the light up stairs. The lightswitch up the stairs can turn the light on and off. If I leave the light on, and go back downstairs, the switch can turn the light on and off. I spent an hour trying to fix it - anyone any ideas?

Regards

SantaUK

Reply to
SantaUK

yes you are missing a passwire for the 2 way switch , what you have a the moment is 2 1-way switches The red wire would appear to be a common feed so you would also need switchwire for the outside light and as i said another 2 wire (passwires) for the 2 way switch to work There are no other cables coming into the switch only the cable yo burst? if no other cables are present then is the cable you burst a 4 core an earth or a 3 core and earth if it's a 4 core you're laughing if it' only a 3 core then someones being naughty i suspect by using the eart as a passwire but you would need to check Hope this maybe sets you in the right directio

-- scubabob

Reply to
scubabob

On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 12:03:11 +0100, "SantaUK" mused:

You have replaced the cable and connected it up incorrectly. Disconnect it and then reconnect it correctly.

Reply to
Lurch

Ah - now I see, Thanks

Reply to
SantaUK

You may just be onto somthing there. When I took the switch off, two cables popped out the switch. One black, and the other was the earth wire. I assumed the earth wire came out the normal terminal, but I bet it didn't. I'll give that a look!

Reply to
SantaUK