Subject Author Posted Replies

Best iron-thread sealant
What's the best thread sealant from: When I replumb my main water feed (replacing the temporary plastic and doing in copper) I will be including a pressure gauge on the end of an isolator valve to...
5
5

Networking Query :)
Following on from my OwnCloud query yesterday (which I'd previously installed 12+ months back) and having successfully remembered ubuntu user name and password, logged in only to find that Ubuntu...
1
1

230V fans
I have 4 server case fans from a wayback machine: 50/60 hz; 15/14W. That's all I know about them. I presume they don't just plug straight into the mains. What protection do I put in the line for them?...
3
3

Building a concealed door
In the void underneath my stairs I plan to box part of it in but have access via a concealed door. the door would be a framework and plasterboard. The top/bottom and `latch` side I am ok with as a...
11
11

House rewiring
A woman just told me she had her house rewired because it hadn't been done for 30 years. Have you ever bothered? I mean if it works, why not just leave it? Wire doesn't rot.
220
220

OT Worth watching
19
19

Home "cloud" space server thing...
Background: Having made a tech. support call to Zen yesterday after both ADSL lines went down I was alerted to a worrying disproportionate upload consumption... For the last 5 or 6 weeks my measly...
1
1

CFL musings.
I generally hate the things, and won't have them in a living area. But did decide to use one in the workshop - which is actually the spare bedroom, so still has a pendant light fitting. Only used for...
30
30

Triangle calculations
OK, far too many brain cells have died. Right angle triangle thus : /| / | / | / |3' / | / | /......| / x | / |3' / | /__________| 5' Base is 5 feet, total height 6 feet. How do I calculate length x ?
23
23

B&Q Valspar Paint
If anyone has not tried it - I can thoroughly recommend it. I took a piece of painted wood in today - about 1" square. B&Q produced a Sample Pot of the specific colour and I was gob-smacked at the...
2
2

Electric Clothes Drying Racks
Aldi just recently are doing an electric clothes drying rack for £29. Would anyone know the wattage on these things and whether they are a good thing to get, in terms of drying clothes in an...
5
5

USB 2.0 cables
After doing a bit googling for a long, 3 or 5 meter, usb 2.0 cable, and looking on ebay, I noticed that there is a wide variety in prices for virtually what seems to be the same cable. Also I have...
37
37

Asus eee problem - diagnosis assistance plse
Asus eee 904ha running 'legacy' windas XP. Been working OK for years. Very recently after booting into windas after a couple of minutes normal use, the screen goes bananas,scrolling, breaking up etc,...
6
6

CCTV Camera
I have noticed many CCTV cameras have a ring of LEDs around the lens - but behind a front glass (Saw this on a drone which made me wonder....) Can the LEDs be of any use given the sort of useful...
7
7

OT Cheap African solar energy could power UK homes in 2018
They intend using 'concentrated solar power', i.e. a massive array of steerable mirrors focusing onto a central collector: and are proposing to run an interconnector across the Mediterranean from...
5
5