Subject Author Posted Replies

Tip for travellers
If you are abroad and wish to purchase a large item, which you can get the weight down to >50lbs, then if you are flying BA, this can frequently be shipped without oversize baggage charges. See...
15
15

Lidl silvercrest dehumidifier
This was on sale recently in lidl - think it was last week. I wish I had se en it before getting the ebac. It looks pretty good, and has everything the ebac one does not. A larger water tank, a float...
20
20

Sad news
It was announced today that the Inventor of predictive text has died. His funfair is on Sudial
11
11

OT: Windows bootup message
My elderly mother's Windows 7 machine has started booting up into some kind of diagnostics program - it displays a square box in the middle of the screen with three buttons marked "Memory Test", "Disk...
14
14

ducting backdraught shutter
I was about to buy this backdraught shutter when I noticed they have replaced the spring with a "plastic strip" as explained on the following web page: I cannot see what the design is from the...

OT Coal Gasification
Its not underground fires honest: "The process of gasification involves drilling horizontally into a seam and then injecting air and oxygen to produce syngas" An energy firm plans to build the UK's...
8
8

Supply Fuse
My house had a 60A fuse on the incoming cutout. I rang Western Power to enquire about an upgrade and within 90 minutes it was done. I now have 80 amp fuse and was told it could go up to 100 amp if the...
33
33

F connectors
Son wanted to do a "proper job", so alongside his RJ45 patch panel under the stairs, he installed an RF/Video panel full of F connectors. He has run the cables which are RJ59 and similar, and bought...
16
16

Power cuts - subtle ?!
Had a leaflet through the door from Western Power Distribution, with a handy glow-in-the-dark fridge magnet with their emergency number on it, in case of power cuts. What do they know that we don't ?
26
26

Will a bulk-ballast bag work as anti-weed membrane?
The subject line says it all, really. Rather than buying custom-made permeable anti-weed/anti good-soil-washing-away membrane in a new raised bed, can I use material cut from those cubic-metre...
9
9

Quest for *realistic* imitation log/coal fire
We were in Cosco Supermarket a while ago and saw a fantastical realistic 'imitation' fireplace log fire. It uses one of those humidifiers (that shoot out water vapour) and with red lights shining on...
4
4

Surface-mount box with 20 mm conduit knock-outs on the sides?
Does anyone make a single-gang surface-mount box with 20 mm conduit knock-outs on the left & right sides (rather than the top or bottom)? Obviously I don't mean in the middle of each side (where the...
8
8

Protecting against transient blown lighting fuse
My tenants in the shop have called me out for the third time because the lighting fuse blew when they turned on their miniature halogen chandelier and one of the lamps blew at switch-on. To me,...
18
18

Bridgeport J-head Mill
Hi all, Anyone here got a Bridgeport? I need to know how to hook it up electrically so rather more than just the spindle goes round. TIA, cd.
6
6

OT.......DIY Rocket bicycle project ?
A challenge for all of you DIY guys to make one of these ;-) Don’t forget to visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/swissrocketman And our website:...