Supply Fuse

My house had a 60A fuse on the incoming cutout. I rang Western Power to enquire about an upgrade and within 90 minutes it was done. I now have 80 amp fuse and was told it could go up to 100 amp if the cutout was changed. Incredible service. The question though. What current fuse is normal these days?

For a new build 100A. To get service like that your 60A fuse must have blown.
--
Adam

On 12/11/14 19:54, Lawrence wrote:

80 or 100A in my very limited experience.

I got similar service on commercial premises many years ago, and that was an upgrade from 60A to 100A - nothing had blown. We were building a new computer room. The CU was already 100A and the fuse carrier didn't need changing. I thought they might change the meter as that was only rated at 40A, but they didn't care about that. I was surprised there was no charge - I suppose they were looking forward to the increased revenue.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 20:20:30 -0000, ARW wrote:

Power to

have

was

fuse is

Maybe where you are but I'd expect ENW to move fairly quickly. They have when I've reported over volts... Mind you I've heard SFA since they took away the volt recorder at least two weeks ago. That would have over night averages of around 255 V. My UPS was logging peaks over 260 V...
--
Cheers
Dave.
Lawrence wrote:

My house fuse has a printed label saying 80A but it's been altered by hand to read 60A. I've no idea why, or how long it's been like that. I can't imagine any circumstances in which 60A would be inadequate, but YM obviously Vs.
--
Mike Barnes
Cheshire, England

Is it the fuse or the cutout that is labelled up as 80A?
--
Adam

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 19:54:50 +0000, Lawrence wrote:

When my meter was changed about 3 years ago the chap wanted to put in a new 80A fuse in place of the 100A; I persuaded him to fit a new 100A instaead. Seems that there might be a desire to /reduce/ load - I wonder why.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
ARW wrote:

Western Power (ex SWEB) seem to be a good bunch like that. I had them out to move a meter from inside to outside. Went to the depot to collect the box and they waved me in the general direction of a stack of them with a smile. The engineers who came out to do the job were both thorough and personable and, IIRC, they offered me a 100A fuse (and on 16mm tails when I thought it needed 25mm.)
--
Scott

Unlikley I'd have thought.
how many people consider the rating of their main fuse when using their electrical devices, and when was the last time you heard of someone blowing their main fuse?
--
Chris French

On Thursday, 13 November 2014 08:31:32 UTC, Chris French wrote:

I have been, in fact last night I 'installed' a new energy meter (Amazon.com product link shortened)15879304&sr=8-1&keywords=energy+monitor+e2
as the previous one from npower died. My fuse says 60 amps, ~ 14.4KW
my water heater cyclinder 3KW 2 storage raidaitors about 2.4KW each. 1 ex storage raidaitor (not removed was 3.4KW) ----------------------- An electric cooker 2-3KW depending on what's used. 1 bathroom heater ~2kw 2 convector heaters about 2KW each.
So when my CH was first switched on the total would be 3+4.8+3.4 .2KW
so in theory without any lights on and switching on my kettle I get to almost 60A or 14.2KW. With a TV and 2 computers it doesn't leave me much headway if any.
I exceeded 11.5KW last night at about 12:30am, as I was testing the alarm function of the energy unit.
Think I'll set my alarm for 13KW

Personally never, but I've not personally known anyone to die from an electric shock. I'm not sure exactly when such a fuse will blow, or rather at what precise current as that varies with time and temperature. Might make an intresting practical lab.
On 13/11/2014 08:30, Chris French wrote:

I blew one once. When I was 9. Winding about 20 turns of thick copper wire around a mechano axle and connecting it to the mains is bad, its worse when the householder has replaced the fuse in the cu with a bolt. For some reason it was my fault the main fuse blew and I was banned from going there.
.

I blew one a few years ago at work. I removed a cooker switch and caused a LE short. The 80A BS1361 main fuse blew but the 30A BS3060 fuse stayed intact. The 80A fuse would probably have been 30 years old.
--
Adam

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 10:14:37 AM UTC, ARW wrote:

That's quite an achievement when following safe isolation procedures :-)
Owain

Rules are there to be broken.
--
Adam

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 1:40:28 PM UTC, ARW wrote:

I think I'd rather break the "don't pull the main fuse" rule.
Owain
On Sunday, 16 November 2014 13:40:28 UTC, ARW wrote:

So are fuses..... ;-)
So I did wonder why I was asked if I'd ever heard of one blowing. I assume they must do otherwise they'd be pretty useless and not used.
On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 08:16:40 +0000, Scott M wrote:

ct

Cor flippin 'eck, we want to shift the meters here but getting blood out of stone with hens teeth is easier than getting any sense out of Electricty North West.
AFAICT you have to submit plans, with a non-returnable fee of about £100, they look at the plans and say yay or nay with no feeback. They won't even consider sending out some one with authority to make decisions to look at the existing meters/supply and negociate a suitable solution. Then of course technically ENW responsibly stops at the cutout, meters are the suppliers responsibilty, can't get any sense about wether they will do the lot, if they will cordinate with the suppliers or if I have to...
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 08:16:40 +0000, Scott M wrote:

Cor flippin 'eck, we want to shift the meters here but getting blood out of stone with hens teeth is easier than getting any sense out of Electricty North West.
Would have been easy near me, I know people who move meters for a living and like a little extra cash in their pocket.
--
Adam

On Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:34:37 PM UTC, ARW wrote:

Do they also install the magic meters that don't go round as fast as the official ones ;-)
Owain