13A Socket outlets - SP or DP?

First domestic VCR I saw had a mechanical timer - the type with drums for the digits and a synchronous motor driving it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This was recently covered in another thread. BS 1363 - 1995 pt 4 says that SFCUs must be double pole switched

Reply to
ARW

I've never seen it, but I feel a little niggle that one day I'll meet a DP switch where the live side fails connected.

The gadget will of course turn off, as it's lost its neutral - but most of the guts of the appliance will be at mains :(

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I have to say that I agree with you on this. I can't quite see the 'benefit' of DP over SP switching. I personally prefer to only switch the live (the neutral, after all is still tied to earth at the sub station and any wiring faults making the neutral live are going to have far more serious consequences in the rest of the wiring anyway.

At least with just a single pole switch, there's less temptation to save costs and reduce the quality of a two pole switch where previously a single pole switch had been deemed sufficient for the job and worthy of good quality manufacture on account there is no other switch to disguise the fact of failure.

Reply to
Johny B Good