Subject Author Posted Replies

Best security for aluminium front door please
I can confirm that my ally doors have a steel core. Probably quite thin, I would guess A quick google found these types :- These are recommended by the police. NOT Uk police as they suggest chains :-...
5
5

Bl***dy glass suppliers...
Ordered up some glass from a local supplier. Not far short of a grand's worth. Had to be sent off for toughening after cutting and polishing etc, so 'about 2 weeks' Phoned them after the two weeks....
41
41

Arrgh drain problem
Had main drain surveyed and bad leak found in a very awkward place, at bend in the pipe under our kitchen. Can be patched but will probably need the floor digging up, according to drain firm. Should I...
8
8

Nicola Sturgeon touching minor
On the 10 o'clock news just now. Nicola Sturgeon putting her arm around the shoulder of a school child in full view of the cameras .... surely inappropriate touching in this day and age ? Andrew
22
22

Todays work nightmare
michael adams ...
14
14

Short lived CFL again.
Had to replace the CPC security 20W CFL today. I reckon it had done less than 1000 hours. Replaced it with a 15W from another manufacturer, have to see how that does. May have to consider going LED in...
14
14

Polarized vehicle headlights.
When I was a child, in my grandfather's bookcase there was a copy of ?Science Advances? by JBS Haldane. If you aren?t familiar with Haldane he?s well worth a Google. The most memorable concept in that...
21
21

Unusual drilling question
A mate of mine is planning to make some holders for table decorations at a forthcoming wedding. He's planning to use lengths of freshly cut branches (with nice bark on) about 15 cm length and...
14
14

Rat Blocker
Anyone care to share an opinion about this sort of thing: There appear to be several varieties, including plastic: And blimey expensive: Do they work? Any particularly best kind? For background, we...
10
10

OT Browser issues
Opening PDFs in Firefox take an age. Any advice on workarounds?
46
46

Changing radiator valves
Our traditional oil fired wet radiator system has thermostatic valves on all the radiators except the four in an attached annexe (ex shop), although the annexe is a separate zone, so controllable up...
3
3

Receiving SMS messages via a landline phone
OT, I know ... We have rarely, if ever, received SMS messages on our landline phone until now. Son's school have started sending updates by that method, which is OK, but is there any possibility we...
29
29

Mobile phone batteries
In having a clearout of a miniscule proportion of the accumulated junk here, I've found a mobile phone of unknown Chinese origin, badged Swees X538. On looking at why the back had popped off, I found...
7
7

Junction Box for Ceiling Lighting
I'm replacing a couple of ceiling lights, currently with a ceiling rose with 4 cables going to it (supply in, supply out, switch, lamp). The new light fitting replaces the ceiling rose but just has a...
5
5

Who has a Zyliss, zVise2, Gripmaster multi vise thing?
Hi all, I believe I have one of the 'original (somewhere) vises that were sold at the various exhibitions around at the time (probably the 'Model Engineer' for me) I've recently discovered a...
4
4