Subject Author Posted Replies

What are the requirements for a device to be called "double insulated"?
I'm not a health and softy wimp, but I was just wondering.... I have a black and decker hand held saw here. It claims to be double insulated, and does not have an earth. But the blade (and hence a...
27
27

Replacing radiator air vent valve
After hearing noise from the heating system for the last few days I decided to try and bleed it. Opened the air vent valve on one of the radiators, and when trying to tighten it back the little screw...
14
14

Moral dilemma.
The narrative. 1. I ordered a small item from Amazon. 2. It was scheduled to be delivered next day 3. I was in all day. No one called. 4. I received an email saying it had been delivered. 5. I checked...
36
36

Humididty meters
For my sins I'm monitoring the temperature and relative humidity in the main document room of our local archive. There are any number of measuring devices available, some of them cheap single-point...
37
37

[SOLVED] Stuck isolation valve
The gas isolation valve shown in the picture is stuck. It's under a gas fire. I didn't want to force it. Any ideas of how to get that moving? Thanks!
19
19

Radio re-alignment twiddlesticks
Anyone think of a rigid, easily-ground non-ferrous material, commonly available which could be fashioned into a screwdriver blade of about 1mmx 0.25mm section?
23
23

OT: Wold Cup Result
Argentina won against Africa. Was there a single French player in the France side? I couldn't see one. More seriously, England have a *long* long way to go to reach the kind of standard we saw today....
9
9

Thunderbird Cache directories
Having just upgraded Tbird, I see there is now an export option. I clicked on "Open profile folder" and in MyDocuments>Thunderbird> cache there are 16 folder named 0 to F and each one contains lot...

Non working boiler, PCB replacement
Just in case I am not the only one to find a dead boiler on the coldest day of the year so far: Vaillant Ecotec plus 624 repair - DIYWiki Vaillant Ecotec plus 624 repair - DIYWiki
10
10

What glue for brass to wood?
I have laid a floorboard across a door transition between a suspended timber floor and a solid concrete floor. I want a piece of brass on top as a threshold. It will be about 1200mm long by 120mm...
7
7

Ill-timed government energy saving advice
Apparently the government is about to advise people to turn down their boiler flow temperature - claiming that that will save energy without making the house any colder. That may be true during mild...
18
18

Skirting board external corners
Do you bother joining them before attaching to the wall? There will be some discrepancy when drilling, plugging and screwing so they'll not line up 100%, just wondered if people tend to screw them...
7
7

frost protection measure
We have an outside toilet, outside in so far it is an un heated environment. Supply has been turned off and cistern emptied by last flush. There is still an inch or two of water on the bottom of the...
8
8

Which screws?
Hi all, I have to put up a new fence and wanted to get some galvanised scews for the purpose, only to find to my amazement and disgust that it seems you can't get them any more. Probably something to...
18
18

Coiling an electrical lead
Could someone remind me: is it dangerous to coil the lead for Christmas tree lights? I know in general any electrical cord should be fully unwound but is this a factor where low currents are involved?
27
27