10mm inline valves

I have to replace the TVR on 2 rads due to leakage around the valve stem (located under the TVR head) I have tried to tighten the nut but it is still leaking. so I thought if I could find and fit 10mm inline valves I could use these to isolate the rads without full drain down if I cannot replace like for like. I know I can freeze the pipes but if I have to cut out pipework I will not be able to use a blowtorch so will have to fit a compression fitting. pipes come out of wall and run along a concrete floor to rad vavles, no room for error.

Reply to
dave

Drain it all down and wrap all, and I mean all, the joints with some PTFE tape. That way you know it will all be OK for years, rather than patched for a few months. It works out easier in the end mate. Believe me, I've been there.

Reply to
BigWallop

Are you asking a question or simply bouncing an idea? You may find 10mm compression isolators not available in local merchants but

15mm ones with compression adapter kits should be. Clean the pipes well so no paint/crud in the area you intend to work as it can make sealing difficult. Smear a little Boss-White or grease on the slipping parts of the fitting (but not the thread or it'll set solid). Use a ring cutter to give a square cut with tapered end for ease of applying. If you can catch the resulting splash in a clear plastic bag with a good absorbant sheet round you and have no soft furnishings at risk it is possible to do a snatch job without draining down. Have the system cold and the stop tap shut just in case Water makes a mess but won't hurt you. 10mm compression lever valves should be available from BES if you wish to take yout trade non-local
Reply to
John

the problem is the needle valve itself within the TRV head. it is here that it is leaking. I have inline valves on all my water pipes so as to isolate say hot bath tap without having to turn off water. I thought that I could do the same with the heating. If I can't fix this leak from the TRV I will have to replace the entire valve. I don't know if they all have the same thread on the base to the valve if not then I will have to remove theTRV from the pipe by unding the compressing nut below the TRV and replace with all new TRV. I have found under gas fittings a 10mm inline valve which says for gas, lpg, oil and water. it has a yellow lever, would this be ok to do the job?

Reply to
dave

If it's the valve itself, then replace it. While you have system fully drained down, it might be a good idea to check inhibitor solution and things as well. Might even get a chance to check all rest of your system foe small leaks and things too. Before the winter time comes back in.

Reply to
BigWallop