1/4 turn ceramic tap valves

Hi,

Speculative question:

I have 1/4 turn lever taps on the bathroom basin. The splines on the cold tap are failing (lever spins). I've cleaned the lever and valve splines and put a few drops of Rocol Threadlock on in an attempt to bond the two togther

- in a way that could probably be sheared with a sharp tap if needed.

Should this not be sucessful, I do have a spare tap. How hard is it to take the valve out the top of the tap? (The spare tap is identical except for being 1/2" instead of 3/4" - pretty sure the valve body is the same).

Is it a case of spanner on brass valve flats and unscrew - or am I likely to be caught out by something weird?

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Swapping internals is easy, as you describe, but I'd expect the seat parts to be different sizes on sink and bath taps.

Reply to
newshound

If manufacturer sells spare valve insert .. get one first. I changed one on my ceramic valves with no problem.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Pretty straight forward IME. Once you have the top off, then whole thing then normally unscrews from the tap body.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks all.

I'll pop it out and see if the seats are different.

I'll have to try and remember where I got them to get a spare valve.

I found the culprit - the Rocol worked perfectly, until my daughter touched it. I have just explained 1/4 turn only require finger pressure, not full- hand-welly. *sigh*...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hi,

For now I have put the lever of my spare 1/2" on (lever and bodies are identical between 1/2 and 3/4"). Seems *reasonably* OK - I think the lever lost its splines more than the valve spindle.

However, I have found out the specific brand I have are:

Ultra Solo CG302 Bath Taps (I used bath on basin for a better fit - 1/2" slop around in the massive holes).

No luck finding spare valves via google yet - I think I though probably buy a spare pair of taps while I can for parts, they're only 18 quid a pair so not too bad...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ah ha - I think I have it:

are not a current line, but I will ring them in a mo and see about spares...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Try here

The Medway Handyman

Thanks Dave,

That's very useful - ta :)

I rang the manufacturer and they said £28/pair for valves+levers. I pointed out I could get an entire pair of taps on ebay for £18-22 - but it was the kids fault for being ham fisted and stripping the splines.

After a moment, she said she's send me a pair gratis - now I am impressed :)

Cheers,

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Some folks do seem to like to twist the nuts off every tap they meet!

Reply to
John Rumm

She's been told she'll be helping to fix it, when I get the free valves the manufacturer promised me today. Plumbing for 8 year olds...

Reply to
Tim Watts