Seized hot water stop tap

I want to renew my kitchen sink top taps but the stop tap on the hot water supply is seized.

The stop tap is difficult to get at behind the sink base unit otherwise I would have just changed it.

I've tried WD40 but I think the stop tap must be seized internally with limescale.

Any ideas on how to free the stop tap ??

Tia.

Reply to
Mackem

Go and find the main tap in the road or garden (with the water meter if you have one) and shut that off. If it doesn't, get the water company to replace it. If you are in a teraced house, the main tap may do more than one house, and might be in someone else's garden.

Whilst it's off, you can do both the kitchen tap and the stop tap. Often, you can unscrew the valve body and replace it with the valve body from a new tap, avoiding disturbing the pipework connections. If you replace the whole tap instead, might want to use a 1/4 turn full bore lever valve instead.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think Andrew omitted that you may need to run water off from the hot tap until the storage tank is empty.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Actually, I completely failed to notice the word 'hot' at all before replying, so the reply is probably not sensible.

Poster hasn't given enough deatils of hot water system in the house to suggest how to isolate it, e.g. any tanks in the loft?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel