Sourcing steel banding to repair wooden 'barrel' style garden planters

Hi, all,

The wife loves those wooden 'barrel' style garden planters that you can find in the garden centres, and to be fair they are better in the local climate than the clay pots which fall apart in the frost.

The steel bands are the first part to fail (corrode) in the ones we have, and since the timber seems in good enough condition to make a repair worth it, I'm looking at sourcing presentable looking steel banding to reassemble a good few of these pots. swmbo requires that it needs to be something cosmetically presentable, so excessive numbers of holes and worm drive tracks are out. The best I've found so far is this;

1/2 inch is a bit wide. Does anyone know of a better source, please?

Thanks!

Derek

Reply to
Derek Todd

Half inch doesn't sound wide to me. Standard packing strip as used industrially is 13 mm wide and I think I have seen it in stainless. People who use it for packing will have the tensioners and clips and would probably make a neater job than you could, if you can find a local small engineering firm who use it.

On "real" barrels most of the rings are slightly conical, difficult to do without the proper kit. They are made as a ring and then drifted into place.

Surely worm drive doesn't look too bad if the screws are put at the back: I think this will be by far the easiest DIY.

Reply to
newshound

Worm drive? Can you get jubilee clips that large??

Agree about the banding. Without the tools I can't see it being done.

You can purchase a complete polyester strapping kit for £70 or so.

Reply to
Fredxx

You can get long rolls of strip and separate screws and screw retainers.

Reply to
newshound

I have some which are large enough to go around chimney pots. Came with cowls, but i didn't use them.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Appropriately available from Coopers of Stortford :-)

's a German supplier (I found it by googling the French cerclage de tonneaux)
Steel say they supply hoop iron to all the independent cooperages in Scotland
a local cooper, distiller or bottler might locate a source of old barrels or bits.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Another suggestion is the steel wire used for balustrates etc, with the tensioner hidden at the back. That would bite into a shallow groove cut in the staves better than a band.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Depends on the size of the barrel. Are we talking barrel sized barrel orsome little ordinary plant pot sized "barrel".

Stainless and finding a company with the tooling etc to apply it would be my choice. If the company also has the stainless tape all the better I suspect the OP might baulk at the cost of a reel of stainless tape. Just slip the company a few quid for the time an materials.

The conical shape of the barrel my well be a problem and cause even packing strip to loosen and bottom half ones drop off. A few small stainless screws might stop that happening, making holes in the stainless packing strip, after fitting to the barrel so they end up in the right place(s), might be fun.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Stainless steel cable ties, perhaps?

520 x 4.6mm, £6.25 for 25. You'd have to daisy chain a couple together, but they're clean, thin and cheap.

Zapp Brannigan