terms common to cabinet design and construction

Terms Common to Cabinet Construction and Hardware
Adjustable Shelf – Shelf that can be added or removed, with varying positions possible.
Backplate – Usually a metal plate, often decorative, fitting between handles, pulls or knobs and doors or drawer faces.
Bead board – Paneling with beaded, routed detail.
Bridge cabinet – Cabinet spanning an open space, such as above an appliance.
Cam and bolt — Construction hardware connecting the top, bottom or sides of some cabinets.
C-C or O.C. – Indicates a center-to-center hole measurement between screw holes.
Crown Molding – Decorative molding applied to wall cabinet tops to provide a finished look.
Custom Cabinetry – Cabinets built to fit customer’s order of cabinet dimensions, shape, wood species, finish and special detailing.
Edge banding – Material applied to edge of objects such as countertops, shelving or doors, to seal and cover the surface.
DIA – Indicates the diameter of a round or symmetrical piece, often associated with a knob.
Finish – The overall surface color, sealing, and added accents of a cabinet or piece of decorative hardware. This includes the highlights and darker tones added to create a special look. It does not include the shape, carved or cast detailing, or physical design of the piece.
Fixed Shelf – Shelf constructed as a permanent part of the cabinet structure in a fixed position.
Flat Panel – Recessed center panel to a door or drawer design.
Fluted Rail – Decorative piece of molding spanning areas between cabinets.
Framed Cabinets – Cabinet box has a front frame around the cabinet opening to which the door is attached.
Frameless Cabinets – Frameless have no front frame. The doors are attached directly to the side walls of the cabinet.
Full Overlay – Cabinet door that covers all or most of the face frame.
Glaze – Secondary staining process used to create highlight on wood doors.
Knob – Cabinet hardware piece used for opening a door or drawer that requires only one hole and one screw.
Light Rail – Decorative molding applied to cabinets to hide lighting and/or to provide a finished look.
MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) – Engineered wood product used as an alternative to natural wood.
Melamine Laminate – Plasticized, hard surfacing material used on door and drawer faces.
Mullion Doors – Doors with glass center panel.
Particleboard — Engineered wood product made from wood particles.
PRJ – Projection of a pull or knob from the door or drawer surface.
Pull (Handle Pull) – Cabinet hardware piece for opening a door or drawer that requires two mounting locations (two holes and two screws).
Recessed Door – Door with flat panel recessed from the stiles and rails.
Rosette — Small decorative piece of molding, often round, square or otherwise symmetrical.
Shelf Pin: A piece of hardware, often metal or plastic, on which an adjustable shelf rests.
Soffit – Soffit or bulkhead is the box-like protrusion between ceiling and the top of wall cabinets.
Soffit Spacer – Decorative molding applied to wall cabinet tops to allow door clearance.
Solid Wood – Wood boards fitted and glued together, as opposed to plywood, laminated wood, veneers, particle board, or MDF.
Stain – Coloring applied to wood surfaces as part of the finishing process.
Stock Cabinets – Pre-designed, factory-built cabinets.
Toe Kick – Molding used to cover the open space under the cabinet for a finished look.
Veneer – Thin sheets of superior wood attached with glue to an inferior substrate.
V-Groove – Vertical beaded or grooved design.
Vinyl Laminate – Decorative Material used on the interior of some factory-built cabinetry, and sometimes used to cover cabinet exterior end panel surfaces.
----------------------------------- -----------------------------------
Find additional information (including useful decorative cabinet hardware manufacturer and product information for Amerock, Belwith Keeler, Emtek and more) at www.ah-tips.com
Free woodworking plans at: www.woodworkersworkshop.com
Quality hardware at wholesale prices! Famous brands, including Shaub, Amerock, Belwith-Keeler, Hamilton Decorative, Acorn, Ashley-Norton, Blum, and more now available online at A&H Turf & Specialties ( www.ahturf.com ).
Free 2007 13-month calendar for download and printing at www.pazzoom,com (click the calendar page link).
Build a simple stool, fast and easy with free instruction at http://woodwork.123basics.com
Become a newspaper publisher with your own local paper -- find out how at www.newspaper-info.com
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
Add image file

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.