Water heater supplying warm water

I went to take a shower,and the water was lukewarm,even with the faucet on full hot. This happened overnight,as everything was fine the day before. What could cause this? The heater is 2 years old,with a 6 year warranty,but only the tank is covered for leakage.

Reply to
Herb

You really haven't told enough to narrow things down, Herb. Like is the water "warm" ONLY in the shower or at other locations too? That's a biggie. If it's only the shower, chances are the shower valve is the culprit.

If the water is only "warm" everywhere else in the place then a likely cause is that the "dip tube" which takes the cold water supply down to the bottom of the heater tank has fallen off so the cold water enters at the top of the tank and runs right over towards the hot water outlet.

Course it could be a lot of other things, like a defective thermostat or heating element (if it's an electric heater) or even something more subtle like a bad water inlet valve block on a clothes washing machine which is letting cold water mix into the hot water supply line ahead of your shower.

Narrow it down, Herb...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Thanks for your input Jeff.

  1. The water is warm at every HOT faucet in the house.
  2. The hot water to the washer was fine yesterday. Plenty of hot water.

I don't know about the dip tube,and I don't know how to check it. I think it might be the element or thermostat as you mentioned.

I have a friend who's an electrician,and I'll ask him to check the tank control circuit. He has all the meters. Thanks again

Reply to
Herb