Sump Pump Question

Can someone explain to me the proper installation of a sump pump? I would like to know how far below the inlet line to the sump hole should a pump be installed? I assume that the water level should never get above the inlet line or is this okay. I do not understand what goes on between the footings around a basement and the inlet line to the sump. Thank you for any information.

Reply to
Bill Smith