sump pump for temporary use

My parents live in a house with a full cellar. They have a drain channel around the edge of the cellar, and a sump pump.

About once a year, the sump dies, or the discharge line clogs. and so they have an inch of water in the cellar. This most recent time, Dad went out to buy another sump pump (the day after the five inch rain). He had the old one sitting for a year, he could have bought one any day before that.

Got the sump, and then find out that the discharge line was clogged. Went to plan B, which is put a flex hose out the window, and pump the water into the cleanout hole in the front yard. But the cleanout plug was stuck, and so that didn't do.

Plan C was to run the hose across the yard and out to the street, put the water into the storm drain on the street. Hose was too short for that, and the water makes a puddle in the front yard. And comes back through the cellar wall.

I've been considering getting a sump pump of some kind, and then adapt it to discharge through garden hose. I've got 100 feet of garden hose. And Dad has some, also.

With the inch of water, I did some numbers and figure there were about 1,000 galons. Figuring a 40 x 40 cellar. The question is if anyone else out there has made such a rig. Is garden hose large enough to discharge? Is smooth sided garden hose better than the ribbed hose they sell at the store for sump discharge? The ribbed hose is larger, but the ribs would slow down the water.

How long would it take to move a thousand galons of water up about 7 feet, and about 75 feet to the street?

Or is there some other answer that I'm missing?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's not allowed by code, but I've come across many houses where the sump pump discharge dumps directly into the building drain. Wouldn't it be easier to just cut into the trunkline and attach that pump to the DWV system.

Like I said, it's not code. But we see this type of thing all the time. It works great (as long as you don't get a clog downstream of where you cut in for the sump pump).

Also, if your pump is burning out so frequently, it sounds like you're just dropping the pump into the pit. Do you have any screens or any filtering device at all that will prevent larger items from getting sucked into the impeller and burning out your pump.

Reply to
Blackbeard