stop with the bad advice !!!

will you please try to contain yourselves and not try to answer a question unless you know for a fact you are right; and if you don't then say it is your best guess.

IE:

Just Spent about 15k on a new bathroom and the shower goes from hot to luke warm in 2 minutes.

  • Kohler Shower Faucet - Single Lever (Fairfax )
  • Mixing Valve is K-304-K (Not sure if it is the one with Screw driver stops)

Any advice to fix this? I made the minor adjustments but all that did was change how hot the water came out initially.

Please help. Wife really wants to use the new shower!

-jeff

Your answers were:

Jeff, So do you mean you can get hot out of it for two minutes, then it drops to luke warm and stays there for everafter? Does not get hotter or colder if you let it run for 10 for 20 minutes longer? Is this only at shower? Hot at other fixtures in this bath stay hot when turned on? You could quickly check for a cross connection by turning off the hot water tank. If you still get pressure on the valves hot side then you have the hot and cold tied together somewhere or a bad cartridge. The Fairfax is a pressure balanced valve, so if you shutoff the hot to the valve then you should get nothing from the hot or cold when you turn it on. If you do, then check for pressure on the hot side of a sink, if you have water then you have a cross connection. If no hot at sink then probably a bad cartridge.

and

Cartridge is clogged with crud left over from the plumbing work, remove, flush, clean the cartridge?

and

DIP TUBE!

I don't want to proclaim to know the "correct answer" but......

My first thaught was, I wonder if he got a new sunflower head shower or something. Just went to the kholer site to have a look at his trim kit and guess what. It has a very big shower head.

I can't help but wonder if he has a tankless coil for his domestic hot water. I wonder if he needs a flow restrictor on the hot water outlet.

This is a guess on my part because I need more info to know for sure. We need to ask questions before we just blert out answers.

Is this your only shower? Do the other showers work? Does the sink provide endless hot water if you don't crank it? What do you use to make hot water? tankless coil? electric? boilermate?

The poor guy who asked about getting air out of his heating system got tons of bad advice in a previous post. lets just hope it was not antifreezed and he has not dumped it all down the drain for starters.

Bottom line is some of the answers here lately have been really bad and I mean REALLY bad. This group needs to maintain its integrity.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Ned, Thanks for the post. To help clarify my question. I posted:

luke warm in 2 minutes.

You asked:

hot water (ask my 10 year old 40 minute shower girl!)

external water tank. I guess it would be the tankless coil.

Diverter+Spout+IPS+Connection&module=&frm=&bak=detail

Reply to
Jeff

Did you try to adjust the anti scald sstop on the valve?

If you remove the handle and the part that holds the handle to the brass stem of the valve (if applicable) you should see a small black o-ring which holds the blak plastic anti-scald/high temp limit stop onto the actual stem of the valve. It shold be a black plastic circular insert with a very small set screw that takes an alan wrench. To adjust this remove the o-ring being very careful not to rip it. Then remove the black plastic disc that has the teeth on it, take the set screw right out of it and turn it about 5-8 nothches counter-clockwise from where it originally was. To test the valve for maximum hot water flow you must turn the shower on. At this point you should just have the black plastic high temp disc with the teeth on the stem, turn the shower on by turning that disc. The small plastic nub where the set screw used to be should not touch the stop at the top of the stem when the valve is all the way on. If it doestouch, keep removing the disc turning it counter-clockwise one tooth at a time until there is a small gap between the nub where the set screw was and the stop above the valve stem when the valve is completely on. This will give you thae maximum amount of hot water. Then just replace the o-ring and handle and you're all set.

T and A Plumbing," Our crack staff get's paid to look at your can's.

Jay A.

Reply to
Jay A.