sloan royal valve "spitting"

i have a sloan royal valve fitted onto my toilet. whenever i flush, the bowl spits water out of the bowl. how can i fix this?

Reply to
allen3

Runningwater

I am in the process of replacing my shower stems, 12h/c pricepfister, due to leaks. I bought the kit to replace everything and of course the instructions are just a picture. My question is what do you do with the plastic ring and do the parts of the stems need to be greased? They are extremely difficult to turn.

Process so far:

-removed old hardware

-replace the stems and seats, they leaked so I put teflon tape around the stem base the middle moving part & that stopped it

-have plastic rings left over

-knobs are extremely difficult to turn

Reply to
Jennifer

On 11/20/04 "Jennifer" jennifer snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net writes in part:

leaks. My question is what do you do with

First of all were the stems you removed Price Pfister? If not and you jammed PP stems in the the manifold in the wall it may never work correctly.

Making some assumptions, here what I think is going on.

If the stems you removed were PP, AND had rubber compression washers on the end AND if the stems you tried to replace them with were of the ceramic stem design (look and the business end of the stem and see if there is a flat, ridged rubber seal with 2 ceramic discs beyond that) then you MUST remove the existing seats from the valve manifold before you install the ceramic style stems!!

If you didn't, that's probably what is making the stem hard to turn....you may have even damaged the stems if you didn't remove the seats first. Additionally, even removing the seats doesn't always result in the valves working properly. The surface the new ceramic stem end contacts, must be designed and machined for that type of stem.

The plastic rings you had left over, go on stem base where you put the teflon tape.

An admonition: Just becasue both parts are made by the same company doesn't mean they are interchangeable.

Doug

Reply to
PLUMBGURU2