Replacing sheetrocked/tiled walls with fiberglass unit

I have just ripped out my old tub with tile walls (tiles were falling off due to lack of greenboard) and have put in the tub part of my new

2-piece fiberglass shower unit. Now I notice that the existing manifold and valve stems do not extend the extra 1-1/2" to where my new walls are. The fiberglass walls are 2" away from the studs, and my valve stems reach 2-1/2", so there's no room for the finished (chrome) collars.

What are my options? I have tried to get replacement valve stems at local hardware stores, but no one carries the Kohler fine threaded valve bodies to screw into my manifold. The only options I see now are to replace the manifold (ick!) or extend it by cutting it out and piping it up and out to meet up with my new walls.

Help?

Reply to
OrkoPolo

I just got back from Lowe's across town and the guy there suggested one of two things:

1) Get a longer stem or a stem extension from a Kohler supply store or 2) Get a shorter collar from a Kohler supply store (I forget what they're really called...the chrome flared piece that is screwed onto the stem via a white plastic adjustable sleeve)

Is there anything I should be aware of here, or is this sound advise?

With that long of a piece extending from my manifold and mounting onto fiberglass, should I be providing any other support?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
OrkoPolo

I've given up and bought a new single valve and will be sweating pipe this weekend ;-) I got tired of running around town and the local supply store gave me a valve for ~$70, which was good enough for me. Now I'll have a new shiny handle for my new bath tub, anyway.

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
OrkoPolo