Re: Natural Gas leak

On 8/19/03 "Redd" javatek?@usa.com asks:

can I use a soap solution in a spray bottle to detect the point of the leak?

Yes, it should work great.

Is there a boot or cover I can buy to cover the area in the black >iron pipe where the leak is

If you mean stop the leak and avoid a repair, the answer is probably not. If there was/is such an item it would be a violation of the plumbing code to use it.

When there is a leak you are required to REMOVE the defective material and replace it with 'sound material'. This normal requires a permit and would include a pressure test of the entire system.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Call the Gas Company and tell them you smell a leak. They will come out for free ( probably the same day ) and search out the leak with an electronic gas detector.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Monson

"Mark Monson"

So I guess my suggestion of using kitchen matches ain't going nowhere, huh?

Reply to
Mike Grooms

And if you live in my parts, they will shut and lock your meter and tell you to get it fixed. They don't do repairs.

Reply to
llump41

I already know that the leak is under the house and not inside. They will only tell me that you have a leak under the house. They utility company is not going to crawl under the house and identify the actual location of the leak in the pipes.

Reply to
Redd

Agreed. But I would still recommend just calling a plumber. I've done too many 30 minute jobs that still took 2 days to get the gas back on.

Reply to
llump41

Or not. They might just shut the gas off and tell you to get it fixed by a licensed plumber and we will turn it back on once you pass the pressure test.

Therefore, they'll shut off the gas and won't turn it back on until the leak is corrected by a licensed plumber.

Reply to
AC/DCdude17