Problem with tub faucet

I've got a leak in my tub faucet because of the hot water side - the spindle needs to be replaced on the hot water handle. It simply cannot be shut off all the way. A plumber who looked at it said it would involve opening the wall (taking off the tile, etc.) and cutting out the old and welding in a new one. It is totally worn out and out of play, if that's the way to describe it.

We rent. Our landlord has been great regarding maintenance. They've owned this house since the 1960's, so even with the currently deflated real estate market, they stand no chance of coming up short if provoked to sell. We don't want to provoke them, as they've already recently put a lot into this place.

So is there some other thing I can personally do to stop this leak? Should I attempt to shut the outflow valve (if that's possible) from the hot water heater so that the only amount that can leak overnight is whatever was already in the pipeline to the bathroom?

Thanks, Be

Reply to
BE

The "spindle" as you call it, is a "stem" in plumbing lingo. You should be able to get a new one from a plumbing supply store for under $20 (though some run more than that). Usually, however, you can get away with simply replacing the washer and seat. From the language in your question, I'm not sure you are up to doing this yourself. Maybe you need a "second opinion" from a different plumber.

It is possible that the faucet was junky to begin with, or that parts aren't available, but 90% of the time these things can be fixed, even if they are 50-75 years old.

You can turn off the water into the hot water heater every night, but imagine doing that for the next several months.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake