Ideal Elan 2 Boiler / Reliable Oxford Plumber ???

Hi all,

We have a problem with our boiler, its an Ideal Elan 2. The initial problem was that there was that the radiators stopped working all of a sudden and we traced it back to the boiler.

There was a ticking noise coming from within the boiler and the pilot light was not igniting, so I thought i'd call a plumber. Along comes PlumberMan and says it was the Soldenoids that were at fault, he told me as an interim to unplug one of the wires off one of the solenoids, wait 30 seconds then plug it back in. This indeed stopped the ticking temporarily (around 10 mins) until the radiators got hot again, then tick tick tick.

He left asking for £90 for telling me that and then said it would cost a further £130 to supply and fit 2 new solenoids for the boiler. I thought that sounded a bit steep so got online and found 2 identical solenoids for £18 the pair. I got an electrician friend of mine to fit the solenoids, but it made no difference whatsoever.

He checked the relays and said that the ticking was dur to dirty contact in the relays. He cleaned them up but no go. I ordered 2 new relays and he installed those but same problem. He seems to think now that it could be the thermocouple sensor at the top of the boiler. The ticking is still there and the boiler is getting really hot.

Has anyone had this problem ? Or can anyone put me in touch with a RELIABLE PLUMBER in the Oxford area that wont shaft me ?

Many thanks,

SS

Reply to
<someone

You need a heating guy, not a plumber.

The pilot light failing to light sounds like maybe problems wtih the gas supply, possibly the gas valve. I'm not there to look at it, of course.

Try alt.hvac or alt.home.repair news groups.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yeah, it sounds like the rely is shot. Its a 5 min. job.

Reply to
<JP