What to do when your orchid blooms?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me, do I need to do anything special now that my orchid is blooming? I have a cymbidium and its just starting to open up.

Thanks,

Reply to
MissTaz

Keep doing what you've been doing. This includes fertilizer -- I hear a lot of people say they've been told not to feed their orchids while they're blooming, but flowering takes energy! And enjoy! Kenni

Reply to
Kenni Judd

Hi everybody. I think there're many old hands on this 4rum. Therefore, please let m know if I was wrong.

- Fertilizers with high Nitrogen concentration such as 30:10:10 ca promote growing but inhibit flowering. Generally, people stops thi kind of fertilizers and replaces with high Potassium concentratio fertilizer (to elongate flower life span).

- Flower cell structure contain mostly water (in layman term, itn't a stable as the leaf instead of their same origin), so you may keep it i protected greenhouse to advoid insect (both disease vector an pollinator are need to be advoided if you want to keep it longer).

- When watering, advoid watering directly on the flower. Good luck. PS: I think you can find many flower elongate agent at the agricultur eqquipment shops. (If you can find Benzylaminopurin, it's so cool

Reply to
violaceae