No one from Victoria?

I don't think any of us are from Victoria, Australia...Reiner may be... but I think he's from the eastern side of Victoria. I read the fire reports and it just sounds grim. Anything you can say is an understatement.

Fingers crossed for one and all

K Barrett

Reply to
K Barrett

Funny you should write this. I just booted up and was going to ask if everyone is okay.

Diana

Reply to
Diana Kulaga

Hi all

I posted this yesterday on OGD in response to Kathy's posting there.

"Thanks for your thoughts. I don't know of anyone from the orchid community here who has been affected but I'll know more tonight when I attend the Orchid Species mtg here in Melbourne. The current death toll is more than

130 and expected to rise significantly as the authorities move into the burnt out areas. There are also severely burnt people in hospitals.

The fires are still raging out of control and more towns are threatened. At least the temperatures have fallen which should aid the fire fighters.

The worst part is that police suspect at least half the fires were deliberately lit. Considering we have had drought conditions for the past

10 years it borders on insanity."

Following the meeting last night it appears that no members of our Society were directly affected but one member had to leave the meeting when he found out that his daughter's best friend had died in the fires. A fern and orchid nursery in the area of the fires seems to have escaped with minor damage.

The number of lives lost now stands at 171 and is still expected to rise.

The current situation is that more towns are now being threatened as the fires continues their ravaging.

John Melbourne, Australia

Reply to
John Varigos