Subject Author Posted Replies

Weird Tire valve problem
Last night I was away from home and noticed I had a tire that was low on air. I went to the nearest gas station and added air. Thats when I noticed the air was coming back out of the tire valve on the...
19
19

Comcast offers free Wi-Fi service to all in Sandy's path
I thought this would interest some of my Northern cousins who've had a hard time due to the bad storm up there. ^_^ The cable giant says it will open its Wi-Fi hot spots free of charge to anyone in...
8
8

What to call & Where to get Siemens breaker "lever joiners"
The subject says it. I need to know what to call and where to get the little sheet metal "lever joiners" which can tie together the levers of the center two or the outer two of the levers in this kind...
10
10

Where to find a post lamp pole cap + light socket?
We have a post light in the front yard that looks something like this: Christmas each year, I replace the regular light with a Santa light, which fits nicely inside the housing. This year, I wanted to...
5
5

Power for Well Pump
Hi all, For those of us who are on private wells dependent upon electric I'm wondering what, if any, alternate methods and techniques anyone has without using a generator to operate their well pump.
19
19

What area does my sump pump drain?
The thread about sump pumps reminded me. I live in a row of 8 townhouses. I'm at one end. Every house has a sump pump, in part because Baltimore County law requires them now for basements below grade....
1
1

OT: Education reforms
A recent study reported that women entering the workplace earn only 78% (as I recall) as much as their male recent graduate colleagues. Of course this is in aggregate; the study compared males who...
3
3

Countertop ideas for a workbench?
My work bench is 1/2 inch CDX. What do you expect to repair? Are you an air craft mechanic, or what? Mine with 1/2 inch plywood has been plenty fine. Please put in several power sockets, they come in...
28
28

Sawing laminate countertop to length
Looking for suggestions as to the best way to cleanly saw (straight, square, no tear-out) about 18 inches off the length of a 10ft Lowe's laminate coutertop: this thing has a 5" integrated backsplash,...
16
16

Lessons from Sandy
For me, they include: * Run the generator every year * Boredom is a terrible thing * Candles don't put out enough light to be useful. Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus .
250
250

920,000 xmas lights and still going
I'm making my plans to decorate my house this Christmas. So far, I have 920,000 lights in the plans, and I'm still going. By the end, there will be over a million. Most of the small ones are LEDs, but...
15
15

(OT) Will a cellphone work under water?
Assuming a cellphone could be made to be water resistant, would they get a signal under water? Obviously, no one can talk under water, so texting would be the only option. But I doubt that there is...
10
10

PorterCable7514
I have an old PorterCable 7514 half inch drill,I've been trying to replace the chuck the usual way,no good. I went to the porter cable site not old question is,is there a special way of taking out the...
2
2

Manhattan electrical substation explosion
... Don't know as ConEd has had time to worry about the "why" yet but it was a transformer explosion. Possible causes are water penetration caused an internal insulation failure or it's possible wind...
6
6

What happens now to the election due to Hurricane Sandy?
Okay, there are an estimated 6-10 million people without power in the Atlantic coastal United States. This power outage could easily last past November 6 in many areas, which of course is election...
53
53