Subject Author Posted Replies

water leak detection and shut off
I have seen two basic types: 1. place water detectors near water heater, washer, etc. OR 2. monitor water flow into the house for unusual, constant flow. I like the idea of the second type, as that...
13
13

OT biodiesel
In line with OT ethanol, an ad touting biodiesel said one of its benefits was to raise the price of soy beans 60 cents (don't know on what measure) as a benefit to farmers. Using either ethanol or...
11
11

Grounding An Electrical Service Panel
I understand that a residential service panel requires 2 sources for grounding. I was looking at a newly installed panel the other day and I'm not sure that it was installed correctly. This panel has...
12
12

Purpose of chicken wire under tile
I understand that the layers under bathroom tile go (from bottom to top): Kerdi membrane Chicken wire Hardboard Tile What is the purpose of the chicken wire? Also, I know that Thinset is used to hold...
17
17

Best portable hand-held vacuum cleaner
I've been looking for a reliable battery-powered vacuum cleaner. Important points: Reliable batteries, easy to find replacements. Versatile, able to reach corners. Easy to clean! The obvious: Good...
10
10

Surveying and shrinking pickets
Wow. I've never seen anyone so careful, afaik. Thanks, Ed. I will check when it gets rainier. I already know that the fence builder didn't use galvanized nails (there were rust stains running down...
2
2

shrinking pickets
I noticed that somone around here has a 6' wood stockade fence. A few years after it was erected, the pickets had shrunk widthwise so that there is a crack between every two pickets and one can see...
6
6

Tempermental Chainsaw
I have a Stihl chainsaw, model MS310, 59 cc engine, that I bought new five years ago. I cut down 6 or 7 trees each year and saw them into firewood len gths. Other than an occasional fallen limb after...
1
1

Outside Ramp Wood Question
I am having a wood ramp built to enable me to get my lover in and out of out house (in wheelchair). I notice he is using pressure-treated 4X4's for the posts, but what looks like regular boards for...
20
20

pressure washer
I'm in search of a pressure washer for minor cleaning of my deck, house, drive, etc. I try to buy used for obvious reasons, but my knowledge of PW is limited. I know some come with soap dispensers and...
13
13

Baristas to begin packing guns
Sweet!!! SPOKANE, Wash. - After three robberies in less than a month at Jitterz Java, employees say they're refusing to be victimized anymore and are preparing to pack heat on the job. Jitterz Java...
12
12

What's Best Material for Carpet Runner in Wheelchair Users Home?
Hi, I need to replace a 27" x 10' runner in my apartment as my old one is shot. It held together pretty well considering I paid only a few dollars a foot at Home Depot yrs ago. I use a heavy power...
3
3

OT Rain-x revisited
In another thread I questioned about the Rain-X deep-cleaning windshield kit. Since then I've done some Google searching - mostly reviews. Most like Rain-X products but I've seen a few complain about...
8
8

Four 575 Lumen recessed LEDs bright enough for bedroom?
I'm trying to choose LED recessed lights for my bedroom. The room has 8 foot ceiling and is 12' by 13'. I have it narrowed down to three- 1- the 6" Cree with 625 Lumens 2- the 6" Ecosmart with 625...
6
6

fist-sized hole repair
Hi All, I've got some fist-size holes in patterned sheetrock. Anyone ever come up with a better solution than re-skinning the walls? Got a few repairs to do: sort=3&page=1
7
7