Low's Installation Services and Bogus Add-Ons

Went to the Union City Lowes to buy a door after the Sunnyvale Lowe's store searched the on-line inventory and said that this was one of the only area stores with the door in stock. Very helpful and knowledgeable salesperson helped us select the door we wanted as well as a security door. Unlike some other Lowe's stores, at least this store actually had someone in that department that knew something about what he or she was selling!

Paid for the door, and for the at-home measurement, the installation company came out on a Saturday then went back to the store on a Tuesday to arrange installation. This was a 30 mile drive. My sales guy was out to lunch so I waited for him. When I next saw him he told me that he couldn't help me anymore. It turns out he had just been laid off or fired. Bummer.

Someone else helped me and showed me the quote for the installation which had somehow gone up by hundreds of dollars. $100 for a city permit, $65 for hauling away the old door, plus some other fees. Called my city building department and, as I thought, there is no permit needed (or even available) for door replacement, this was just an attempt to extract more money. The installation total was going to be $800!

I decided to not move forward and Lowe's refunded the cost of the doors (which I had already paid for), and also refunded the measurement and lead fee (which they were not obligated to do). I think they refunded everything because they knew that the contractor that they are dealing with was doing some stuff that they shouldn't have been doing; I never asked for a refund of the measurement fee.

I've never installed a pre-hung door myself before. How hard is it?

Reply to
sms

On 07/23/2014 12:37 PM, sms wrote: ...

Not particularly difficult...but a few steps up from "rank amateur"...how handy do you rate your skill set and what's your assortment of tools available on hand? Need the ordinary plus a 6-ft level certainly helps...

How well existing was done and the ease of refitting siding, etc., etc., is basically all dependent upon the current state and can be anything from trivial to a real pita depending on how well/poorly the initial install was/is and, of course, whether there's been resulting damage from water leakage, etc., in the intervening interval.

All to say, "all depends"... :)

Reply to
dpb

Not particularly hard, Are you patient, and can you follow instructions ?

Whether or not you buy the door from Lowe's, you can use their YouTube video as a guide. One question is , do you have the needed tools available ? The video provides a list.

Retired

check the frame very carefully. I got one that had a somewhat trapezoidal frame. Took it back. Second one was better, but still not a good fit. Installed it. Works, but not quite right. Barely seals along one edge.

Reply to
mike

So they spent 3 days with you. That's so nice.

This is outrageous. I can provide you a permit. Just email me your home address, phone number, the size of the door in inches, and whether it will be on the front, back, or side. I only charge *30* dollars.

If they changed the price from he original agreement, they breached the contract and they were obligated to return the money. Did they give you a price for installation in advance? I guess, learning from your experience, I should insist on a price before I allow any measuring or leading or any charge at all. What is a lead fee? Is that led or leed.

Reply to
micky

Hey, trapezoids are people too.

Reply to
micky

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:37:29 -0700, sms wrote in

Thanks for the heads-up.

Reply to
CRNG

Hi, Pre hung door? And need city permit to install that? Any how not a difficult task installing pre hung one.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Just cause they have a different shape, doesn't mean that Jesus loves them any less.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

micky posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

The is the fee the contractor gives Blowes for the "lead" or referral.

Reply to
Tekkie®