Subject Author Posted Replies

Concrete topping - tough and rigid?
I have a section of concrete floor (1-1/2" thick x 60 square feet) that is fragmented and deflects slightly when I walk on it because the 5/8" plywood subfloor was inadequately fastened to the joists....
6
6

leaking dishwasher drain hose
The factory-included drain hose for a used dishwasher I purchased is leaking. Several places that sell dishwasher parts have drain hoses like the original for $20-$40. That seems like a lot for a...
2
2

Laminate Flooring Against Brick Hearth?
Asking for a friend: What's the best way to install the click-type laminate flooring along the face of a 10 foot wide brick faced hearth? It's being installed long side against the hearth....
10
10

Engineered Hardwood and Water Spills
Does anyone have any info or comments about how resistant engineered hardwood is to water spills? I know it's very resistant to chaning shape due to moisture (ie: humidity), however, I'm...
17
17

Help with Kenmore refrigerator
The water dispenser stopped working the other day. Not sure if ice cubes also stopped being produced. Then magically started working again. This happened about 4 or 5 years ago. Recall it being...
5
5

Flat Roof - any benefit to adding insulation on top
Most of my house (located in Toronto, Canada) has a flat roof with a reasonable run off. It was built in the 20's and the roof is BUR with various layers added over the years. Some recent damage...
9
9

thermostat with adjustable hysteresis?
Is there a programmable thermostat (for furnace) that allows the hysteresis to be changed from the front panel, using keys and display? E.g. turn on at 65 degree and turn off at 66 degree Or, maintain...
7
7

eyeglass-lens falls out (even with bolt); for safety, epoxy?
My lenses will fall out of my frames. This is even when there's an actual BOLT (with nut) being used. (This latest time: nut has somehow unscrewed from bolt (and disappeared) and of course the...
14
14

chest freezer leaks from the bottom front
I have a 15 year old self defrost avanti small chest freezer. lately it leaks from the front bottom. I see no tube or visible drain plug except for a quarter size area which seems to have some kind of...
3
3

Looking for suggestions on new basement windows
My current window openings still have the 2x6's that were used as forms. I have some vinyl windows with nailing tabs. It looks like I need to remove the 2x6's from the forms and replace with...
1
1

Insulate basement + crawl space walls to save energy?
Live in 60 year old 1300 Sq Ft single story brick house with full basement, it has recent 600 Sq Ft addition with about 3' crawl space. Live in Michigan (zone 5) and winter heating bills are a...
13
13

Fireplace not drawing properly
We have a two sided fireplace in our house. The house is 18 years old and the fireplace is original to the house. We purchased the house about a year ago. We tried several times last winter to have a...
13
13

New window sticker adhesive removal
We just installed some new windows to replace our 35 year old original windows. After installation I removed the stickers that were on the glass. They came off very easily and there was no adhesive...
19
19

What glue to attach rigid insulation?
I have some steel hatches. They are painted. I plan to glue rigid insulation to them. I would glue the foil side to the paint, so at least I won't have to worry about the gluten dissolving the...
1
1

RMC conduit going into box w/concentric KO's
I'm using rigid steel conduit with steel boxes where I have elected to use the conduit as the grounding conductor. I have a 1/2" conduit going into a masonry box with concentric 1/2 & 3/4...
10
10