Door deadlatch sticks open

I have an exterior door with a keyhole-in-knob deadlatch. With the recent cold weather, the latch started sticking open when it gets pushed in while closing the door, so the door doesn't latch shut. I figured out that the deadlatch was sticking to the main latch, so the main latch couldn't spring back out into the door frame.

So I rubbed a pencil (a quick source of graphite) in the groove in the main latch which the deadlatch rubs against. It worked for about a week and a half, and now the problem is back.

Should I try more graphite, or a different type? Will adding WD-40 after graphite gum up the works? I'd really prefer not to replace the whole doorknob lock because of this simple problem.

Jimmy

Reply to
JimmyGeldburg

snipped-for-privacy@mailinator.com wrote in :

The pencil lead contains clay as well as graphite, a mixed blessing for your application.

WD-40, depending on the exact version, is mostly kerosene, which lubricates for a short while, then evaporates, leaving behind who knows what.

My locksmith recommends 3-in-1 oil, but just a drop.

I recommend that you remove the entire knobset, clean it well, and reinstall it. It's amazing how often I fix something just by taking it apart and putting it back together.

Reply to
SteveBell

Jimmy,

If taking it apart and cleaning doesn't work, you may be able to just replace the latch internals.

One of my exterior doors wouldn't close unless I turned the knob. Cleaning and lubricating didn't help, so for $10 I replaced the internals and all is fine. Look in the door knob section of your local big-box store.

dss

Reply to
dss