mortgage question

Please forgive this slightly off topic post, but since all of you are homeowners, maybe you have some thoughts on this. I am going to refinance in the near future, and I have a GFE with an origination fee of 1%. Can anyone tell me just what an origination fee really is? Is it like going to a car dealership and seeing "extra dealer markup" on the sticker? Is the origination fee generally non-negotiable? Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Reply to
AE Todd

olddog

The lender will tell you it is non negotiable. This is a charge for preparing paperwork. As far as I know every charge like this one is negotiable. Many lenders do not have such a charge. Search around for another lender.

I got my last mortgage through the internet and saved a good deal of money on charges like this one. Times are a little different now because of the economic downturn. YMMV.

HTH EJ > Please forgive this slightly off topic post, but since all of you are

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Exactly, except that _everything_ on a mortgage is negotiable, especially these days. At least assuming your credit is sterling. Your broker/bank/mortgage company/whatever can play with the rate to make the fees go away, or conversely, you can buy down the rate by paying points.

Assuming the only reason you need to refi is to take advantage of lower rates, you are in the driver's seat. You need to get two or three quotes and compare...

Reply to
Robert Neville

I assumed that the charge for the loan is the interest that I am paying for the next 30 years...I am refinancing to take advantage of a lower rate, if they in fact do go down.

Reply to
AE Todd

The "origination fee" has nothing to do with your interest payment. Lets say you borrow $100,000 for thirty years. The 1% origination fee is $1000. The interest charges for the thirty year term will be something in the order of $75,000 to $90,000.

You will also be amazed at the number of bloodsuckers that show up as "closing costs" on your new refinance.

HTH, EJ > I assumed that the charge for the loan is the interest that I am

Reply to
Ernie Willson

That's the mortgage brokers bonus.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

It does if it's rolled into the loan.

Olddog

Reply to
olddog

Find out how they classify the origination fee - it's probably a broker's bonus, but if it's really a discount point, it might be tax deductable - find out where they put it on the HUD Settlement Statement.

I'd also request a HUD Settlement Statement from them when ya start talking about their loan. There are some line items that they won't be able to fill in until closing (prepaids, escrow, etc.) but they should be able to show you most of the Settlement Statement line items that go into the type of loan you're considering.

It can elim>> Please forgive this slightly off topic post, but since all of you are

Reply to
Just a citizen . . .

Check out

The Manin Dude