Subject Author Posted Replies

Dear Friend's Toilet does not flush fully
A friend of ours has a toilet in her condo that when flushed does not go down the bowl all the way. I also noticed that the tank is a plastic *almost* facsimile of the tank that belongs there. I tried...
20
20

CPVC pipe to shower valve
I am redoing the run from my shower valve to my shower head on the pool side shower. Originally it was all copper pipes in and out. However, the copper pipe from the shower up the exterior wall, then...
6
6

Sewer line replacement question.
I'm going to have to replace my ancient (61 year old) 4" Orangeburg with PVC. I'll be burying the new line unbedded decomposed granite, about three feet deep. Should I use 3034 or Schedule 40 PVC? TIA
4
4

Use and storage of auto jump-starter - portable power
I've got a Sears DieHard Portable Power 1150 unit. It can be used to jump start a car, has an air compressor, and even a small inverter. Does it make sense to always have the unit plugged in and...
7
7

are the septic assist garbage disposals a good idea
My in-sink-erator has rusted through and needs to be replaced. It was the septic assist model with container that injects some supposed septic assist fluid. My previous home did not have this...
7
7

anyone use a nutone intercom for music only?
i have standard speakers and wires all over my house not hooked up to anything. I also have a nutone IM-3303 intercom master not hooked up to anything. Anyway I can make the 2 work together?
2
2

goggle and mask that doesn't fog up and get hot?
I need to work in my crawlspace for a few hours (sealing ducts, etc). Due to dust, I use a goggle and a dust mask. However, after a few minutes the goggle starts to fog up, my face gets hot and wet...
7
7

Dehumidifier recommendation?
Me again - mold lady, still deciding what to do about the mold discovered in the finished basement of the house I'm selling. No matter what I do I know I need to keep the basement from smelling...
9
9

Trace Unpowered Circuit
I have a dead outlet, but no breakers are tripped. Is there a way to trace these unpowered circuits? I have a circuit tracer, but it only works on powered lines. Thanks. Mike D.
30
30

Sanitize Used High Chair
Picked up a used high chair for my grandson at a consignment shop. It looks clean and in good repair-- I've inspected it carefully-- but want to sterilize/sanitize it before putting the lad in it....
26
26

backstab outlets
Who makes a backstab outlet/switch that the wire is tightened in with a screw. After a couple of problems in my home I want to change them all out and I prefer not to haveto restrip and bend all those...
38
38

OT: Washer and dryer in single unit
May sound dumb. May not. I'm tired of walking down the basement to pull clothes from the washer and load into the dryer. Has anyone invented a washing machine that turns itself into a dryer, dries...
15
15

Skylights: double up the rafters?
Hi, My carpenter just told me that if I am having a skylight put in between two rafters, I should double up each rafter because the hole in the wall weekens the roof. Do you agree with that? Thanks,...
27
27

Drywall corners around access door - will this work?
Hi all: I'm in the latter stages of building a play room in an attic space above the garage of my house. It is built into a gabled roof, having 4-foot tall kneewalls along the sides of the room. The...
3
3

Chain Saw Stalls
I've got a Homelite 16" chain saw. A few years older, but very similiar to this model: starts easily and idles fine. If I squeeze the throttle the tiniest amount it'll rev right up, almost to what...
7
7