Subject Author Posted Replies

whistling water
Hi everyone! I've enjoyed reading thru your posts and this seems like a saavy group. Hope you don't mind if I jump in with a question. My daughter and I installed a new faucet set in the...
7
7

Mixing valve repair question
My house is about 25 years old - probably the original shower plumbing - in the five years since I've been in the house, the temperature adjustment knob for the shower has always had to be turned...
9
9

global water solutions
------------------------------------- Everyone beware. I called Global Water Solutions and they messed with my system. I had to call them back three times to service thier mistakes. I did the next...

Ice Dams And Water Damage Questions
Hello, Live in New England; typical Colonial. Every few years it seems we get water damage due to "ice dams" a. exactly what is the mechanism that causes these ? What conditionsmust be present ? e.g.,...
11
11

pvc irrigation system
I'm going to be converting my sprinkler system from black polyethylene piping to pvc. I thought I recalled hearing that one of the advantages of pvc is that one diameter of piping is used...
4
4

Temorary roof repair from attic
I live in one of the areas that was hit this week by a major ice storm. An ice laden tree branch fell from a tree near the house an unfortunately poked a small (about three quarters of an inch) hole...
33
33

question about electric range burner controls
The last three electric ranges I have owned (all with the usual "infinitely variable" surface unit control) have occasionally just shut off on the lowest setting. Normally this setting will maintain a...
12
12

Senate votes to delay DTV
Again. "[Jan 29th] For the second time, the Senate unanimously passed a bill Thursday night to delay the transition to digital television by four months in order to give consumers more time to get...
21
21

Gas water heater, tank vs tankless
Can I get some opinions on which way to go here? Home is 3 1/2 baths, 4 occupants (so max of two showers running @ once) tank water heater would need to be power vented, so 50gal is in the $900 range,...
47
47

Does antenna coax go bad?
Get yourself a booster. Amp is on the antenna and power supply goes on the other end of the coax. Also get some made-up coax (with ends) RG6 stuff, not RG59. snipped-for-privacy@
11
11

generators in parallel
I have two generators rated at 5 KW each. I know how to phase and put the two in parallel while they are both running. The question is will they stay in sync and put out 10 kw if needed ? I know the...
16
16

What kind of water pipe?
I get ice dams. I've chopped them, I've salted them, and last time I ran hot water over them. I like the last method best. My current set up is a gutter cleaner along these lines gutters on...
3
3

Battle of The Post Hole Diggers
Powered diggers are excluded. Which is the better choice for various soil condition in your experience? 1. The manual auger that you twist until you get a full load of soil to dump: room for handle,...
16
16

Clamp on multimeter question....
I bought a clamp multi meter to read the current draw of several things around the house so I can size a generator. I received no manual with the meter. My question is, on a 240 volt circuit do I take...
25
25

DTV Transition - The End of Civilization !
DTV Transition - The End of Civilization ! On February 17, 2009, they say we are going to lose our analog tv signals and all tv's connected to an aerial must have a converter or the screen will go...
16
16