Subject Author Posted Replies

Now to frame new ceiling
MC- How about running the 2x4 passed the face of the studs into the wall cavity thus creating overlap for nailing? Get out your framing gun & shoot a couple 16d shorts and you're done. cheers Bob
12
12

Rerouting an 1/2" rigid electrical conduit in the attic
All my electrical lines are EMT conduits in the attic. There is a perfect spot in my bathroom I would like to install an exhaust fan but the 1/2" conduit is in the way. It is 4" above the ceiling...
7
7

Using an AC-to-AC wall wart transformer/adapter in reverse
Suppose I have a plug-in transformer that reduces 120VAC power to some lower AC voltage (say 12VAC or 24VAC), and suppose I want to do the reverse---increase a low-voltage source back up to 120VAC....
30
30

Burning methane in furnace
Natural gas is principally methane. Per "Combustion" at: methane combines with sufficient oxygen, producing carbon dioxide (CO2), water, and heat. Carbon monoxide (CO), a poison, is produced as a...
18
18

Strange faucet behavior
Strange to me, anyway. Nary, nary a plumber. I got a old kitchen faucet, washer-type (or compression) very similar to the one depicted at: turn the hot to, say, 30% of flow. It very slowly creeps back...
8
8

Closet Rod -- Need Support?
So, wife had her brother build her a closet in a room that had no closet while he was here last weekend. I just finished my rookie paneling and sheetrock work. Now for a Clothes Rod that will span the...
12
12

An Oil Can
Not just -any- oil can ... One with a little squirt-tip like the old 3-in-1. That ya can slip standard size clear tubing over so as to get to the motor nipple way back in the furnace or whatever. And...
28
28

Automobile engine cleaning using mixture of kerosene and oil
Years ago when our engine oil got very dirty, we would drain out the dirty oil, then add two quarts of kerosene and 2 quarts of clean oil and run the engine for 15 minutes. Then drain out the dirty...
40
40

OT = Valentine's Day
OT - Valentine's Day Yes, it is off topic, but a timely one time only topic. This is not typical spam. I am a normal contributor who happens to sing Barbershop. If you need a special Valentine,...
1
1

Heating question
I live in a rowhouse with a York gas forced air heater. After the heater reaches temperture & shuts off,a minute or 2 later it comes right back on again & only stays on for a minute. Why does it do...
10
10

Metal Roof Costs
My wife and I need to install a new roof and are considering a metal roof (steel). We were going to do it last fall but couldn't get our act together then -- although we good some quotes. Does...
8
8

Tap Water being Changed to Digital on Feb 17.
DTCs are reviewed at consumers reports, some have bad flow and an Ion taste, some leak electricity and you need to wear rubber gloves or suits when you shower.
38
38

Question Magic Jack
Question Magic Jack I am not a techie. So I apologize in advance. I see the MagicJack ads on TV a lot. My question is Do all the calls come thru a PC/Laptop device ? Does the PC have to be on for this...
7
7

Aroma Rice Cooker (ARC-930) mess
Hi Experts, I bought this supposed 10-cup rice maker from Costco. It turned out to be more like a 6-cup maker. Aroma defines the size of the cup, so that amounts to false advertizing!! Unfortunately...
15
15

6' Wood Fence
I am planning to install a wooden fence from the corner of my house to a neighbors fence, a distance of 28.5'. From the corner of the house I have to cross about 15' of a concrete apron. There...
8
8