Subject Author Posted Replies

I'm saving on oil
Some of you may have seen my discussions about a new heating boiler I started a couple of months ago. My Energy Kinetics System 2000 boiler was installed on Dec. 22. My oil tank was filled four days...
3
3

Degree Days calculator
May be of interest to some of you. I recently did some calculating and comparison of my heating costs over the past couple of years. The proper way is to use degree days to get a comparison based on...
4
4

oil boiler cycling -- too frequent?
Would like a perspective on cycling of an oil boiler. So I replaced a spent Burnham RSA110 steel boiler with a Peerless WBV cast iron boiler. Everything else remained the same -- still three zones,...
20
20

PEX Tips
Are there are tips the collective group can offer to using PEX 3/4 " tubing? I'm using Watts Quik Connect fittings and will be tying into 1/2" copper fixture risers. Thanks.
11
11

Garage Door Woes - The Next Chapter
My problem with the garage door opener not closing has continued for weeks now. The door lowers to about 2/3 of the way down, then reverses. I called one company to repair it. They charged me $85 for...
11
11

Fireplace, hearth and bricks?
Hi experts - I have a house that was built in the 1950s and I would like remove the hearth off of the floor so that my couch can go in it's place. I took the top slab of concrete off of the hearth...
8
8

A small plumbing problem.... novice plumber to the rescue(?)
Recently the GF had significany rennovations done to her home. It involved a new bathroom. The fixtures remained basically in the same locations, but the plumbing had to be adjusted very slightly. New...
6
6

power conditioner or battery back-up?
When it comes to protecting major electronics like tee-vees, stereos or home theater systems, and personal computers, what are the benefits and drawbacks of using a power conditioner versus a battery...
31
31

Clothing fitting room occupied indicator
With fitting rooms at the clothing store, it sure would be nice to make some easy way to know if the room is occupied. Is something made? I know Kwikset has an "occupied" deadbolt, that has an outside...
8
8

Crown Molding Scarf Joints
I just put up white crown molding. I used angled (45 degree) scarf joints where two pieces meet along a wall. I matched the joints very carefully but slight differences in the elevation of the two...
9
9

Receptacles -- # of wires per screw
Is there a specific electrical code that states how many wires can be attached per screw when wiring outlet receptacles? I've always heard that when wiring receptacles, one shouldn't attach...
41
41

Another electrical puzzle: 120 from 240?
Was called to look at an electrical problem. I looked at the panel that seemed to be the culprit, determined it to be a 240 v. 3-phase (probably) panel with a few breakers that were causing problems....
17
17

Want to replace wood floors but don't have a subfloor. Do I need one?
HI group, I bought a house built in 1925 which has oak floors. They are not in the best shape, with cracks and weak spots (funny the home inspection didnt really call it out as a problem)....
21
21

Can gel dishwashing detergent plug up a dishwasher?
I've always used powder dishwashing detergent in past But for some reason I bought some gel detergent to try out Tow days after using it my dishwasher (albeit old) just up and quit. It does act as...
4
4

Polyurethane vs. enamel -- kitchen cabinets
Refinishing kitchen cabinets... how would you compare regular interior latex paint covered by polyurethane versus simply using enamel paint? How would that compare? Thanks.
6
6