Subject Author Posted Replies

OT crude oil flammable
OT During the pirating stories, one of them said gunfire on an oil tanker could result in an explosion? Don't they only carry crude oil and is it flammable?
12
12

Samsung Refrigerator not cooling
I have a fourteen month old Samsung RS257BARB refrigerator that will not stay cold, it hovers around 50-55 degrees f. We know the evaporator keeps freezing up but cannot figure out why. We've had...
7
7

oil burner
I have a problem the burner does not shut off. I turned the thermastat and the water temp down still running and then disconnected both and it still would not shut down...
6
6

Surround receptical box with foam board
I have one particular corner that I intend to use a lot of 'Owens Corning' foam board. Can anyone tell me of any know issues with surrounding the receptacle w/ pink foam board ? I have seen...
8
8

Cost of a new roof ??
I am looking for an opinion on the cost of installing 37 square of Certainteed Grand Manor shingles with open copper valleys on a one floor ranch style home and attached garage in upstate NY. The...
9
9

Anyone ever hear of "hard dirt"?
I gotta redo a drive way strip that a redwood tree uplifted. It's one of those old driveways where there are two strips of concrete about 30" wide with dirt in the middle. Some of the roots of the...
10
10

Steering Problem on Craftsman Lawn Tractor
I just started using my tractor having bought it new at the end of the summer 2005 mowing season. Every year at this time I faithfully tune it up - change oil/oil filter/spark plugs/air filter/fuel...
16
16

Is there anything that ants can't crawl on?
Am starting to have problems with ants in my kitchen, they seem to be specifically going after the breadbox which sits on the counter. Don't see them anywhere else in the house. Is there something...
44
44

Long waits for hot water - what are my options
We can wait for up to 5 minutes to get hot water to our sinks and showers. It seems there are lots of different options to help this. Are there any preferred methods?
29
29

Low Water Pressure - What are my options?
I am on well water. My pump is set to 40-60psi range on my tank. Most of the house is fine with pressure. The problem areas are Kitchen when the washing machine is being used. The kitchen and washing...
6
6

Tax credits for the DIYer
These are tax CREDITS, not tax deductions. 30% of the cost. Up to $1500 for small projects, no limit for big-ticket items such as tapping geothermal energy....
3
3

Do Simonton windows suck?
I bought a 40-year-old house last year. The previous owner had put new windows through most of the house. In some rooms, they are Andersen. In others Simonton (I never heard of them). The Andersen...
5
5

Tree safe broadleaf herbicide?
Hi, I have a number of dandelions in my yard (PNW), too many to spot treat, and I'm not going to rip out the yard and resod it. That leaves me to looking for an herbicide. The only problem is that...
11
11

NiCd Battery Questions
My string trimmer runs on a rechargeable NiCd battery. It's only two years old but doesn't hold much of a charge anymore. The trimmer manufacturer's tech support suggested that I may be...
16
16

Water Heater Timer ?
I plan on putting a timer on the hot water heater, but I am not sure the one I found will work. This is the one: question is this. I have two hot legs Red and Black going to the water heater. (the...
33
33