Shower pan caulking/grouting Question

I have a house that is ~ 4 years old. The master shower walls are tiled, and the base of the shower is a SWAN-S-3442 pan. The pan is made from something they call Veritek. Anyway, the last caulk job on the shower pan was not done well. It held, but looked bad. So, I had a tile guy come out and re-do the caulking and fix any grout that needed it.

He left two areas (one on each side of the door side) of the pan without caulk, and said that those were weep holes (maybe slots). The basic part of what he said was that it allowed better circulation and less mildew. Here are pictures of what I'm talking about:

So, does that sound right? I can do quite a few fixes, but I am far from an expert on showers/baths.

Thanks

Reply to
JJ

Those are the door track drains. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I meant the one 90 degress to it. I re-did the pictures with a circle around what I am talking about.

Those are the door track drains. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
JJ

Calling the areas "weep holes" doesn't make sense to me. Looks like he did a very nice job with caulking, but leaving the space mystifies me. In the circled area, the line with no caulk appears to be grout. It seems to me the gap, if it is grout, might be more inclined to get mildewy, but there is also a drainage line right there, so .....

I looked up installation instructions and although there is a diagram showing "caulk" it isn't detailed and there are no specific instructions about the final grout line. Swan has a "contact us" link, so you could email them with a link to your images.

norminn

Just to post a follow up:

I contacted Swan, and they said that it was done correctly.

Thanks,

JJ

Reply to
JJ