New tiled Shower stall - to caulk or not to?

Hello everyone,

  1. Could I ask what the conventional wisdom is on caulking a newly tiled and sealed shower stall?

I have seen some with caulking up and down each corner and where the tile floor meets the tiled floor. I have used sanded grout on the floor tiles, unsanded on he walls, and actually used some sanded grout recessed between the wall and floor tile...thinking I would caulk that part.

  1. Also, is there reason some would not seal the floor tile grout?

Thanks again!

Reply to
Louis McEniry

It looks like shit. It looks like dirty shit in a few months. And it's not necessary in a tile application that sets over a mortar substrate that's placed over proper framing and grouted properly.

In the expensive homes we tile it's unnacceptable. Wonderboard jockeys may do different.

Laziness? Cheap?

Reply to
James Keene

Caulk any joints that may move independently of each other and crack grout. Whether your partidular substrate is solid enough or not I couldn't say.

Laziness? Seriously, there's not much reason not to.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Regardless of what you call "proper", anything can settle and move over time, including expansion due to temperature or humidity differences. Caulking at the correct joints alleviates problems associated with this. It only "looks like shit" if you apply it like shit, and it only looks dirty in a few months if you use cheap or latex caulk.

Reply to
jeffc

you tellm ARA Mousian . im thinkn movin to 6544N gentry Fresno ca , what U think IM a gooooood neighbor

Reply to
mark Ransley

no bs caulk is fine for corners

Reply to
mark Ransley

just like painting caulk all inside corners (direct water areas). use ONLY 100% mildew resistant silicone.

M.C. somewhere in Ca.

Reply to
Mike Columbo

As usual you guys don't disappoint. Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Louis McEniry