Shower Stall Grout vs. Caulk

I've got a very old tiled shower stall that has grout rather than caulking on the joints between the walls and the floor. The grout is breaking off and I need to re-seal.

Should I remove the old grout and use caulk instead-- or try to re-grout?

Reply to
J.H. Holliday

If it's a mud job shower stall you can go either way. Otherwise there should be caulk at all transitions between materials and all inside corners.

RicodJour

"J.H. Holliday" wrote in news:M6GdncTnLZAYPMbVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

If you re-grout, it will just come out again--maybe tomorrow, maybe in five years. Chip out the old grout. Take a piece of the old grout to the store and get some sanded caulk that matches the color. It'll last a long time.

Reply to
Steve

Remove the old grout. Make it absolutely clean - no soap scum, etc. Wipe with denatured alcohol, let dry. Wipe with full strength bleach immediately before caulking (let it dry). Use silicone caulk. Corners are caulked rather than grouted because walls/floors expand and contract or move as house settles, which cracks grout.

Reply to
Norminn