Subject Author Posted Replies

powering a 12v 1HP winch
I picked up a winch that I'll be using to pull dirt out of my basement. So now I need to power it. It is a one horse motor- 2000lb capacity. 'll be using it to pull a [roughly] 300pound load up a...
32
32

Sink Loose in Countertop
Do modern bathroom sinks (china) not use any mechanical fastenings to hold them to the countertop? I have one that wiggles in the cutout and there is nothing underneath to tighten. There is a bead of...
3
3

Pop-up Sink Stopper Doesn't!
The pop-up stopper in an American Standard bathroom sink won't pop up far enough. The water will drain out eventually, but there's only about 1/16" (maybe less?) between the o-ring and the mouth of...
1
1

Threaded caps
All my po' life I've been dealing with threaded caps on containers of everything from medicine to mayonnaise. They come off easily enough for the most part. Not so for replacement: they often...
1
1

Redneck 1 KW generator
Cost virtually free. Everything came from garage sales or the trash. http://gfretwell.com/electrical/redneck_power.jpg
36
36

Hardwired smoke detectors wiring
I think I know the answers to this, but I am not sure. I have a building that already has 3 interconnected 120-volt smoke detectors. I want to add two more to the system. I want them to all be...
5
5

Laying Self-Stick Vinyl Tiles over Asbestos Mastic?
I originally planned to install new 12 x 12 self-sticking vinyl floor tiles over the 50 year old 9 x 9 tiles in my bathroom. I thought I could re-glue the few loose original tiles. Once I got started...
8
8

Auqabot Turbo T2 worth it? vs T-Jet model pool robot
I can't decide between the Aquabot T-Jet ($700) and the better scrubbing Aquabot Turbo T2 ($1,500) for a 40,000 gallon in-ground pool. What I like about the T-Jet is that it has few moving parts and...

light in a closet, attic, etc
Hi, What are some of the good new ideas about lighting closets (not walk- in) and areas like the "triangular" side of finished attic, or a crawl space? These are places where you do not want (or are...
8
8

What causes water in pipes?
I noticed that within the past month or so I have a lot of air when I turn on the hot water. As the water gets warmer the air gets worse. Since it's only the hot water I assume it's a problem in my...
4
4

Glue for wooden garden/deck chair?
Fixing up an 'Adirondack' adjustable/folding outdoor chair. And have it substantially apart at moment prior to reassembling. Seems to be 100% clear cedar. Wooden pieces are all there and in pretty...
12
12

Craftsman Commercial - Drilling In Reverse?
I was watching Ice Road Truckers last night, which is sponsored by Craftsman, so they kept running this commercial for one of their cordless tool lines. They show one clip where the guy is drilling...
15
15

Weather station -- update
I had everything on the Zephyr unit working but I was not happy with the outdoor temperature. Mounted on the pole, the sensor got too much sun and it would read high. So, I re-did everything. Instead...
14
14

OT: seen on FreeCycle earlier today
Title : OFFER: marble slab From : a******n Date : 17:29, 12 Jul 2009 Location : Castleton, NE Indy Description : We have a 77in X 40.5in X 1in solid white/gray marble slab. This was lying outside when...
7
7

How I think the economy will go and why
It is a fact that if a nation PRINTS trillions of dollars to solve its financial problems, that hyper inflation and collapse will follow. However.... our US govt is NOT printing any money,...... it is...
47
47