Subject Author Posted Replies

Kidde AC Powered Wireless Smoke Detectors )interconnected) ?
Hello, Was wondering if anyone is using those relatively new AC powered Kidde Wireless smoke alarms ? They have the capability of being interconnected so if one goes off, they all do. How is the...

Spa Problem
I have a Garden Leisure 8 person spa with jet control buttons # 1 and 2. #1 control works normally....push once for low and twice for high. The second jet area has started coming on by itself. It...
6
6

problems with silicone caulk
Hello, I have been repairing a piece of wood directly under one of my windows with Elmers epoxy and today got to the point where it was time to caulk. I used silicone caulk and wondering if it's a...
31
31

lawn mower engine not starting ?
5.5 hp Brig&Strat vertical shaft lawn mower engine not starting. Original problem ... When starting it went straight to full throttle mode for a few seconds then died (like hitting a kill switch). I...
15
15

Can a one-pipe steam system be separated in to zones?
Just wondering if an electric valve can be put in the pipes that go to the second floor to make it a separately controlled zone. Thanks Dante
9
9

House Wiring Question, Please
Hello, Not to sure how to go about this, and would appreciate any thoughts. Whatever I do, I want to be sure that it is "Code" compliant, fully. Have a quite old smoke detector on ceiling. Doesn't...
6
6

Honda Mower Pull Cord
My Honda mower is an HRX217, I believe. The pull cord to start the machine will not retract. Any suggestions on how to repair this? Is it straightforward, or does it require major repairs?
3
3

Roof torch.
My roofing torch was not putting out much flame the other day so I used a fine needle like tool with a handle to open up the nozzel. I keep it outside with the tank covered with greenhouse plastic....
2
2

What to use to paint metal black?
I don't know if this is home repair or not, but you are the best guys to ask, and I park my car right next to my home. My apologies if this is off topic. If I "paint" metal with a black indelible...
24
24

Sheet metal quality
Thanks to all re my trunk replacement questions. I can find everything I need locally or on-line. Is the gauge of the galvanized steel important? The ductwork is up in the ceiling and will be wrapped...
8
8

Adventures in (commercial) drywall
Firewall. 2 layers of 5/8 (x2, both sides), offset seams, to be "firecaulked" (at $15/12 oz. tube). told these idiots (oh, yeah, we can hang rock, can o' corn!) to plumb their first sheet (of the...
7
7

Winterizing time
Hi All, It's that time again. I'm hoping I don't forget any parts this year. I took care of the car (flushed radiatior, refilled with new antifreeze). I know we need to check all caulking...
35
35

Smoke detectors for the elderly
I was at an elderly friend's house the other day when the smoke alarm went off. It was quite loud and I reacted instantly to the noise. My friend, a former Army marksman in his 70's, who's...
111
111

What's the best table saw cleaner?
Hi, As a follow up to my previous post concerning best rust preserving treatment... What's the best cleaner for a table saw surface. This table saw that I inherited had all sorts of rust and gunk...
5
5

Circular saw with counter-rotating blades
Anybody use this type circular saw yet? Give us a report if you have. Hank
1
1