Thermostat for new heating system

Hi,

I'm getting a new heating system installed (York 98% efficient furnace with modulating gas vale and ECM motor). I had a few questions I was hoping someone could help with:

a) How does a modulating gas value work? ECM motor makes sense to me.

b) How does the furnace know what BTU to push out? My contractor says that any thermostat would work, so I assume the thermostat doesn't tell it.

b) Any recommendations on a good thermostat to use? My contractor has a simple programmable one that he's willing to install, but says that I have one that I want I can procure it myself. There are a few that are rated high on Amazon, but I want to be sure that they will work with this system.

Thanks, PB

Reply to
PB2

I have an Aprilaire which works well except for the fact that the buttons were attached to the back of the faceplate using something called "hopes and wishes", and I had to reattach them all using Krazy Glue. But the thing works well.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

A good thermostat has the name "Honeywell" on it. Avoid the ones printed with "Lux"

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

:-) Okay, I'll go with the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000. Is that good? I almost bought a Lux, so it's a good thing I read this message.

I don't need to buy a special thermostat to support a high efficiency heating system, do I?

Thanks, PB

Reply to
PB2

If a heating contractor couldn't answer these questions, I'd quickly find another contractor.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

If I was getting that unit, or any new heating system I would be asking the manufacturer and my instaler whats best and how it works. Your "pro" did a wriiten heat load calculation for you, im sure. Because you will not need nearly as big a system as you have now, and to get maximum comfort and efficency you want it sized right, not by the guessing game method. You really need to contact York, you "pro" should have gone over everything with you.

Reply to
ransley

:-) Okay, I'll go with the Honeywell Vision Pro 8000. Is that good? I almost bought a Lux, so it's a good thing I read this message.

I don't need to buy a special thermostat to support a high efficiency heating system, do I?

Thanks, PB

It sounds like any series 80 (2 wire low voltage) thermostat will work

Reply to
RBM

I know that Rheem Contours need their own stat. As to yours, discuss that with your installer.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, he just said any thermostat would work and he thought the ones I already had would be fine since they are programmable.

I didn't ask him how these things work...

Reply to
PB2

Well, he took measurements of the entire house. I'm assuming he picked a size that works, but how can I tell? He seemed to know what he was talking about, because he said the unit in the attic shouldn't be high efficiency because the attic gets cold. He also noted that the current attic unit is on the attic floor and he recommended hanging the new one from the roof (joists?).

For our downstairs unit, he didn't recommend going with high efficiency at first. I asked for him to give me a quote, and the incremental price was less than the tax credit. So...

Reply to
PB2

The guy I chose was the one that did the calculations and showed me the paperwork, he was suprised a much smaller unit would work, as no other contractor bidding realised because they were just guessing on Btu, it allowed me to use a smaller cheaper unit and save a bit. I added alot of insulation so I knew I needed a smaller unit, what I had was to big and heated me up to fast making me uncomfortable so Btu was cut in half. I guess your attic freezes so you have to put in a non condensing unit for the second floor? To bad you cant just use one unit that 98% york will save you alot over a 83% non condensing unit. Honeywell and White Rogers, make quality. Lux and other off brands are not tops. Be sure you get the 10yr warranty, some offer 15 yr as extra, get it if you can. You have alot of expensive components that may not make it. The VSDC motor has had problems supposidly a redesign has cured.

is where heat pros are at, post at The Wall.

Reply to
ransley

Hi, No 'stat included with the new furnace install.? Can't go wrong with Honeywell brand. If I were you, I'd have 10 year P&L warranty for that furnace. Some parts are very expensive.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, I have Vision Pro 8000. It has couple different model. Like single stage, double stage heating, etc.

Reply to
Tony Hwang