Subject Author Posted Replies

Help! Have odd plumbing size, need cleanout plug in Twin Cities
I had to hacksaw out my cleanout plug yesterday. Now I can't find a replacement. The size is 1.75" inside diameter. Yes, you read that correctly. Nobody carries a 1.75" ID cleanout plug. And a 1.5"...
15
15

Hijacked
I clicked on a thread "cordless drill not working" and got a lot of mindless drivel about social issues and smoking vs. non-smoking. I wonder if anyone here ever heard of Netiquette, and more...
38
38

Subfloor: plywood vs. OSB
Should I use plywood or T&G OSB for subfloor in new addition I am building? The addition is on second story, floors are 2 X 8 16 O.C. I checked prices and 3/4" T&G OSB is more than twice cheaper then...
21
21

My DeWalt 9.6 And Saving $$$
Most of us know that Black and Decker is the low end of DeWalt . I buy the battery for the B&D 9.6V and cut the keys off that keep it from going into the charger and drill. There are 2 areas that need...
8
8

HF Multifunction Tool Attachment Question
After watching the Fein MultiMaster infomercial the other night, and being in possession of a $34.99 coupon, I decided to buy the Harbor Freight version. After sorting through the included...
7
7

This isn't quite home repair but ......................
I recently bought a used Monkey Wards tiller. It has a 5HP Briggs & Stratton engine and needs a new muffler. The muffler is about 4" x 3 1/2" x 1 1/2" thick and is held on by 2 (probably 1/4") bolts....
2
2

Building jamb for existing doors
Hello, I have two salvaged doors which I would like to make into double doors for a closet. So I have to build a new jamb for them, and I am wondering how much clearance I should allow around each...
18
18

Dropping Trees on Septic Field
I need to take down a couple gumball trees. The gumballs are driving us crazy. Unless there is a way to "neuter" them they have go to go. One is pretty hefty. Between them they probably are making...
25
25

OT. Winter/summer tyre/wheel changeover.
Once or twice a year many of us have winter or summer tyres reinstalled or we change over to an extra set of wheels with the appropriate set of tyres for that season. The following experience we...
11
11

Should I Replace the Furnace?
My furnace is 21 years old and I am thinking of replacing it this year to take advantage of the $1500 tax credit and hopefully save some energy cost. The AC is the same age and would also be replaced....
15
15

Installing a Hinge
Simple, I know, but I need to know how to line up gate hinges that I will install on a utility door this weekend. It's the one at this link: assume that the center line of the pin is supposed to line...
1
1

Uneven Radiator Heating
I have a big, old farm house with an oil-fired furnance and old fashioned hot water radiators. A couple of weeks ago, the radiators went cold although the furnace would still fire. The furnace...
13
13

Question for HVAC gurus.
Hi guys. My wife and I are in the late planning stages of building our new home. I want it to be as energy efficient as possible. We are having a slight disagreement. I want foam insualtion in walls...
35
35

Help me come up with some ideas for updating a weird gas fireplace
What this fireplace kinda looks like is a three sided fireplace with one side sealed up with bricks. 'd kinda like to put up mesh and a scratch coat over the entire exterior and then tile, but those...
2
2

Are bathroom walls required by code?
Everyone builds a small room in their house for the toilet and bathtub. I guess this is just tradition. But are bathroom walls REQUIRED by code? What if I wanted to install a toilet in the middle of...
13
13