Subject Author Posted Replies

Is this a fair price for fixing a leak in the central air unit?
Hello, I just had my central air unit recharged with refrigerant and a leak was found in a very accessible area, on the discharge tube. The repairman said he would fix the leak for $450. He said it...
5
5

Removing a polish smell
Mix a 20/80 spray of distilled white vinegar/distilled water and wipe down the plastic surfaces. You can use this solution in a hand-held carpet shampoo machine (use one that can extract water) for...
1
1

Replacing the batteries in rechargeable battery packs
I've read a lot here about replacing the batteries in rechargeable battery packs, but always about portable power tools. Is it also possible to do this with battery packs for laptop computers? A...
14
14

Dusk to dawn fluorescent lighting
Hello, Are dusk to dawn fluorescent lights good? I've attempted to use fluorescent lights in my front porch light that, I think was originally meant for incandescent lights. When I used a CFL type...
6
6

Should I get a programmable thermostat for an electric heat pump central air system?
Hello, I have the opportunity to get a programmable thermostat for my house, the idea is to set it to lower the heat / AC during the day when nobody is home. However my system is a electric powered...
20
20

Garbage Disposal Air Lock
I have something strange going on with my disposal. When I pour a bucket full of water or even when I'm simply trying to drain the sink, the drainage is very slow (without the garbage disposal...
6
6

Identifying a Faucet
Can anyone tell me the manufacturer of this faucet? It needs some work, and I cannot get it apart. (The left handle will not come off of the valve.)
20
20

Gas Pressure Washer Recommendations?
Anyone have something good (or bad) to say about their pressure washer ? I am thinking of the Ridgid RD80701 at HD. It is more ($579) than I want to spend, but am am a bit leery of getting too low-end...
7
7

Plastic Tubing for Salt Water Discharge
Three years ago I ran some plastic tubing (which I believe was polypropylene) from my water softener in the garage, through the brick exterior wall and into my subsurface drainage system. The tubing...
7
7

Retrofitting interior doors - pre-hung?
I'm going to replace all 6 of my interior doors. I've replaced a door once, and bought just a door (i.e. not pre-hung). It came out okay - but just okay. I'm thinking that to do 6 doors I'd be better...
14
14

Temperature and volume
When watching TV in my family room, if I'm feeling a little warm, I just turn down the volume on the stereo receiver. If I'm too cool, I turn up the volume. Honest, that is how it works. After the...
13
13

Toilet flange is too high above concrete floor.
My house is 28 years old. It has 5 toilets. The 3" black, plastic drainage pipes are in a slab with a steel flange popping out of the slab. They all have the same problem: The original builder used...
8
8

It wont stay shut by itself
ordinary IDE, the magnet is so strong that it is hard to get off a flat metal surface without tools!!!
19
19

Logic of using a 30 gallon electric vs 9 KW tankless hot water heater.
A 9 KW tankless HWH manufacturer claims that it is sufficient for a whole house at up to 3 GPM. A 30 gal short tank HWH is about 30" tall and many are mounted over a clothes dryer on a shelf. That got...
12
12

Generac Portable Generator
While rummaging the web looking for some repair tips, I encountered this gem: --- begin quote "Yes, generac portable generator remember. One may go from here. A special Act of attainder was passed...
11
11