Icemaker for Kenmore Elite Mystery

I have a Kenmore Elite, Model 105.56709500, which has done a good job of working with minimal efforts (a few DIY filters replaced for the water and ice dispensers, coils vacuumed, etc.) towards maintainance required.

I swapped out the "frosted" and dehydrated ice storage bin, rinsed the crushing cavity with warm water, let everything air-dry, and re-assembled the unit as I've done so often no thought is required when performing this task. I closed the freezer back up and waited for the ice maker to start pumping ice. It's been three days and there's not one cube. I checked the water dispenser; free-flowing, cold water there. I checked to make sure the shut-off flap is closing correctly; it is. I cleared the reset buttons for power failure and when you swap out a filter. Nothing is allowing ice to be made. There isn't any ice build-up within the mechanisms...

Is there anything else I might have overlooked? There isn't any ice build-up within the mechanisms...

Many thanks!

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Not enough info, Range. Is the ice compartment separate from the rest of the freezer section? If not, are other foods in the freezer not frozen? If you've got all previously frozen foods in the freezer section and nothing has defrosted in the freezer section, have you put anything new in the freezer section and it hasn't frozen? A small bowl of water will tell.

What is this "shut-off" flap? A flap between the main freezer and the ice making section or are you referring to the "shut-off" flap door between.... what? Freezer coils and freezer? Main refrigerator and freezer? Ice maker compartment (is it separate?) and main freezer. Need more info.

Most refrigerators have a 3 sections in the cold part of the system: refrigerator, freezer, freezer coils. There are doors/vents/fans of some sort between the three. Most refrigerators have the ice-maker section in the freezer section. If the freezer is not freezing water or keeping previously frozen foods frozen, most likely the coils are icing up or the thermostat is dying and it will only degrade from there.

I'd love to help, but need more detailed info, Range. Got a pdf link or users manual link? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

This seems to be a bad number, google only returns your note. There are basically 2 styles in the Kenmore/whirlpool icemakers. One has the bucket on a shelf, the other has the bucket on the door. If the bucket is inside the freezer on a shelf, make sure the wire bail is down. If it is locked in the up position it turns off the icemaker. On the ones with the bucket on the door, this function is done by photocell. Is the LED on the right side blinking? If so the beam is blocked

There is a flapper on the left side that blocks the beam when the door is open to keep the thing from dumping ice on the floor and there is a slider doodad on the right that blocks it all the time. Normally it is only blocked when the bucket is full. Push the flapper in and see if the LED comes on steady (it takes a second or two) If not check the slider position, look at the holes to be sure they are not obstructed or suspect a problem with the LED or the photocell.

Reply to
gfretwell